poster design advice.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by SOLLERBOY, Jan 22, 2009.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi, I am currently studying interactive media at college and am in the middle of an assignment. I must design and create a poster, ticket and dvd cover to promote a theme park. I could choose the theme of the park and the theme of the event. I handed this in and got a merit which is fine but I know I can do so much more. I have the opportunity to upgrade it once and had started to create a totally different design but I found out today that I can't change the theme. So here is the question.

What do you guys think of these images and how can I upgrade them ( BTW, I have only been using photoshop since October so they aren't brilliant.)

Image 1 is the poster, 2 the ticket, 3 the dvd cover and 4, the redesign that I can't use.

any comments are appreciated.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

The first thing I noticed was on all of them the text gets lost and most of the type I cant read. Also, Im not sure if its your intent, but I dont get theme park when I see it. It looks like something NASA would put out. I know you said that you havnt used photoshop for long, but I think 99% of your problems with these are just basic fundamentals of design.

Image 1:
    The black textured background makes it too distracting. The red type is no where near legible for me. The font choices and colors also make it hard to read. I think overall it is too busy. I also find it is too heavy on the bottom, most of the composition is towards the bottom

Image 2:
    I think you need some margins on the piece. Also the type is again hard to read for me. I also personally think the image isnt too strong. That might just be a personal opinion

Image 3:
    WAY WAY WAY too busy with the type. It is not legible at all with the white text over the white specks. There also isnt any kind of visual hierarchy for me. I think it is because of the same type face and same color. There doesnt seem to be any contrast. Also, the image of the space ship upside down just looks weird to me. I look at it and want to flip it.

Image 4:
    This one is also not legible at all. The type is moving towards a graphic element rather than actual information. Again, there is no visual hierachy. I look at it and dont know where to start. My eyes just wonder around and I dont pick up any information. The only thing I can somewhat read is Wasteland. The rest I couldnt tell you what it said

Not trying to be mean or knock you down, just giving my opinion.