PostgreSQL on Tiger, Carbon

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by idelovski, Jul 17, 2010.

1. idelovski macrumors regular

I need to connect to some device that has embedded PostgreSQL server in it from an application that needs to run on Tiger or newer Macs. All my application needs to do is open a connection, read some data from a single table and disconnect.

So, I don't really need complete PostgreSQL installation on my computer, just libraries and headers. I can't find such download, so I downloaded the whole source tree. Now, this needs me to run "configure" script and that is where I realized I am in over my head.

Can someone with some PostgreSQL experience point me to an example of how to call configure from terminal in order to build just c libraries? Or should I install the whole package, with sql server and all utilities?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just install the whole package. There is no need to actually configure it once it is installed, so the PostgreSQL server won't be running.

The whole package only takes up 32MBs so its not exactly wasting tons of space either.

3. idelovski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

then installing everything makes sense.

4. degsyuk macrumors newbie

If all you want to do from your Mac is connect to the posgreSQL server and run queries, you don't need to install or build postgresSQL on your Mac. There's a free client called pgAdmin3 that will enable you connect and run queries. You should be able to find links to it from the main psql site. The main site should also have links to the jdbc drivers enabling you to connect to the postgres server via a program.

5. idelovski thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for suggestions and I am sorry if my original post wasn't clear enough because when I put the word "Carbon" in the title I thought that should be enough to describe the whole thing as "straight C project". I don't think jdbc drivers can be used from C?! Or maybe they could?

My application is built with Carbon in C and it needs to read the database several times a day and put the results into its own format. That is why I need to link it with libpq.a library built for PPC Mac running Tiger or above.