Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
So after wondering whether to wait or not for merom, i decided to head to the apple store and buy the 2.16 15" mbp and I'm loving it. No whine at all so far, and while it does get a bit hot, I've already ordered a laptop stand with fan for it. The adjustment to the new OS took a couple of hours, but I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. A couple of questions though:

When I see screenshots of certain people's desktops, they get their HD icons on the desktop to display how much space is taken up and not taken up...how do they do that? All mine is just a boring Macintosh HD.

Also, for expose, F11 and F12 work for me. But F9 and F10 do something else. When I press them, this little box with a line and lines shooting out from it appear. Aren't they supposed to relate to Expose?

For memory, windows had used memory taken up, and free memory available. Can someone explain to me the mac's idle memory and active memory and stuff?

Thanks so much for the help!

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Hold the "fn" key on the lower left, then press F9 or F10. That will let you use Expose.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
LeeTom said:
Hold the "fn" key on the lower left, then press F9 or F10. That will let you use Expose.

oh ok, great

is there any way to swtich around?

and what does that line with all the lines coming out of it do anyways?

thanks

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
For icons with info, from the finder:

View -> Show View Options -> Show Item Info

Apple-J. A common shortcut for me. Enjoy the MBP, its a killer machine.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
redrabbit said:
oh ok, great

is there any way to swtich around?

and what does that line with all the lines coming out of it do anyways?

thanks

System Preferences-->Keyboard & Mouse--> check the box next to "Use Function keys for Software features"

However, from my experience, you will quickly learn to appreaciate Hot Corners if you used the trackpad a lot.

As for the second question, the line with little lines coming out is your backlit keyboard. You won't be able to turn it on unless it is dark, however, or if you cover up the light sensors (they are under the speaker grills--at least on the Powerbook, anyway).

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Ahh how I want a MBP now LOL I hope you have heaps of fun on yours :) I'm waiting for the new chip and Leopard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.