Posting this from my new iMac. Thanks guys!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MBAir, Jun 17, 2008.

1. MBAir macrumors member

Hello all,

I just got a brand new 24" iMac and really LOVE it!

Just wanted to thank all of you for the tips in the forum. I read the all the screen issues related threads. What I did is that I unboxed my iMac right at apple store, downloaded Pixel Check and ran the test. Not a single dead pixel or all those bleeding issues. Although the serial number is W8 something (China). :cool:

I wouldn't have thought of it if it wasn't for you guys. :)

One thing is annoying though, the screen is WAY too bright. Have to keep the light on while I'm working on it.

Another thing, a power/sleep LED would've been great, wondering why apple took it out.

Happy :apple:ing!

2. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Have you turned it down on System Preferences (located under the Apple Menu)? It's adjustable from the Displays icon item on the window.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Or you could just use the F1/reduce brightness key on the aluminum keyboard. ;)

4. MBAir thread starter macrumors member

I should've mentioned that it is already on the lowest, and still too bright.

Do you guys know how to tell whether the iMac is on, off, or sleeping? It's irritating.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, if it's on then I think it's pretty obvious. :p

As for whether it is off or just sleeping try hitting the spacebar or moving the mouse. If the hard drive spins up and the screen comes to life then it was the latter.

6. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

There is a free utility called Shades that will darken your display. It can darken all the way to completely black if you like.

Here's a link to it at VersionTracker:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31515

7. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

I didn't want to assume he was using an Apple keyboard and F functions enabled.

8. harry454 macrumors 6502

I found a better and easier way to sleep the display, push Control, Shift plus the eject button on keyboard together and it sleeps the display. Congrats :D. Also to adjust the brightness, push the FN key and then F1 to decrease of F2 to make it brighter

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Its been a while but I think the default behavior of the Apple keyboard is to use those alternate functions on the F keys. In order to get them to function as standard F keys by default (and thus necessitate pushing the FN key together to get the alternate functions like brightness control) you have to click the checkbox for it in keyboard properties under system preferences.

10. MBAir thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for replying.

I already have the brightness set to the lowest, but it is still way too bright. Hope Apple will sort this issue out with an update. I'll give Shades a go and see how it goes.

After a couple of days using the iMac, I must say I'm impressed. I do have a MBA but the iMac is a different story. The iMac is a pleasure to use.

11. D4F Guest

D4F

You got some sensitive eyes man... :p
    Calibrate your screen. Just make sure it runs about 30 minutes before you do so.

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

i remember i had the 24 too and it was kind of too bright for me. exchanged it only because it was too big and i only use for surfing web, email, filing work documents and download some music. So I went for the 20" and it feels just the same as thr 24" just not as bright so i can stare at the screen at night while workin ;)

13. Tannerozzy macrumors regular

Tannerozzy