postscript to pdf

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghanwani, Aug 6, 2015.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I have some old .ps files. What can I use to convert them to high quality pdf files? Not sure what Mac OS X uses, but it generates a pretty bad quality pdf.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

If it were me and needed what you're looking for "once" for a short period of time *and* you want quality output, I'd sign up for a US$25 one-month session for Acrobat DC and be done with it. Or, look up what's available from the manufacturer of the product you used to create the PDF files - that company may have a free-or-cheap conversion utility available.

Most of the apps on the MAS are crapware, and the Terminal scripts and Automator workflows utilize what's built into OS X - "solutions" I've found to be not satisfactory for my wants and needs. I used to use Distiller but now use Acrobat DC. That's my 2¢.

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

4. markgrimes98 macrumors newbie

5. chabig macrumors 68040

You didn't explain what makes the OS X generated pdf "bad." Fonts won't be bad because they're rendered. Vector images won't be bad because they too are rendered. Images can be bad if the originals are bad. My guess is that what you think is bad is inside the postscript file.

6. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's just low resolution. Maybe I'm not using the right settings when saving? MacTex looks interesting. These ps files were all generated from LaTex/dvips.