Postulate/guesstimate: smart bands?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BarracksSi, Aug 30, 2015.

1. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Since there's been some rumors floating around about Apple adding functionality to the Watch via "smart bands"…

How do you think they would work?

Open the so-called diagnostic port? So, give users a tiny tool to pry it out? Then, make the band one-way only, or make it so either end can plug into the port? And how will the little connector slide through the close-fitting slot in the watch case?

How about Bluetooth between the band and the Watch head?

Lastly -- has the practicality of AW-connected smart bands been discussed here already and I just missed it?

2. testcard, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I think smart bands are a long way off, if they ever appear. And prying out the diagnostic port cover with a tiny tool is asking for trouble along the lines of "...I scratched my brand new Watch trying to fit a smart band..."
    A Genius Bar appointment might be more practical for fitting.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet smart bands, if they become available, would be compatible only with the newest Watch, although they may still fit v1. Apple always finds ways to cripple the older iteration in order to drive sales of the newest model. The current diagnostic port wasn't actually meant for them and they'd have to find some way to waterproof it (transmission via magnets can fit this bill). There'd be no prying off the cover for current users.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I also think we are a few years away from a smart band.