Potenial iPhone Buyer Questions: SMS, Call, and eMail Notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by foltzie, Aug 8, 2007.

1. foltzie macrumors member

A couple of quick questions regarding the iPhone. I looked at one in an Apple store, but the sales person didnt immediately know the answer to my question.

Is there a way to set the iPhone up so that it continuosly notifies you of a new SMS, Email, or missed phone calls at one to five minute intervals until you awknoledge the new or missed item?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No, there isn't.

But there will be a blueish bubble that will display what all was missed if you act like your going to unlock it.

You can with email though, as it checks to see if there is a new message in time intervals. Those are 15 / 30 / 45 / Hour though.

3. foltzie thread starter macrumors member

Edit to the OP to clarifiy my request.

Basically I need my phone to notify me via some sound that I have missed a text message or a phone call in the event I left my phone at my desk for lunch, in the car for dinner, or god forbid went to bed.

4. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

No, it doesnt keep beeping every few minutes or anything like that.
    If you take a look at the screen you'll be able to see if theres missed calls, text messages or emails.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Like i said, the iPhone just doesn't have that. A simple software feature can fix that, but it doesn't have it now.

That shouldn't be the deal breaker to get a iPhone or not though..

6. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

No doubt, they could easily install/update an alert feature like that in the future if they want to.
    Its kinda annoying though, my girls Motorolla does that and it pisses me off.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I was just about to say, i had 2 KRZRs in the house that did that all the time. It's a good concept though. You're forced to go to your phone if you want the damn thing to stop beeping.

8. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

The cool thing about the iPhone is that many of those features can be added via software update. Which I'm sure will come sometime in the near future...right Apple....Apple??

9. foltzie thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it is annoying, but that feature on my pager ensures that I dont miss a page, since my pager is left behind all of the time (I already have a cell phone and I'm not adding a damn pager thing to my belt), but if I got a new phone with a larger screen I could forward our system pages to SMS and send personal pages to the actual cell number.

The posters saying this isnt a deal breaker are probably correct, but it was a question I had before making a final decision and selling my 8gig Nano.

10. anubis macrumors 6502a

That has GOT to be THE most annoying "feature" I've ever seen in a cell phone. There is nothing worse than sitting at work and having some idiot leave their cell phone at their desk for 4 hours while it beeps every minute to "remind" them of a missed call that I have to endure. Apple did society a favor by leaving this "feature" off the iPhone.

11. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I hear you bro.
    In your situation its a needed and a good feature to have but unfortunatelly its a no at the moment.

12. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I agree.
    It would be cool to have the option of having it turned on or off though.

13. foltzie thread starter macrumors member

It can be annoying, especially if its set at a one minute reminder instead of five or ten minutes.

Also the need of knowning when you have missed something important can be sastiated by getting into the habit of checking the phone first thing after putting it away.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

No, but you're not alone.

That and/or a easily seen LED indicator are both commonly asked for items.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And unless Apple hid an LED somewhere in the black area of the screen, we'll never get an LED indicator on this version. It's one of the biggest things I miss about my Nokia 6300.

Not only can you not just look at the iPhone without touching it to see if you have a missed call/SMS/email, you have to pick it up, push a button, then slide to unlock. The only saving grace are the indicators on the home screen. My Nokia silently flashed cool blue lights for all of the above. How cool would it have been if they added a thin blue ring of light around the earpiece?

I guess Apple figured the exciting innovations it was making with the iPhone were enough to allow them to skip the boring industry standard stuff, like LED/repeating audio indicators, A2DP, BT modem, copy/paste, search, ringtones, etc.

Some of these things may get addressed in firmware updates, but I'm willing to bet there are things we'll just have to chalk up to compromise.

16. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I cant picture the Iphone having a flashing LED. That would look pretty gay and out of place for it IMO.
    We cant have every single feature ever put out on a phone guys :)

17. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Not true. There is a popup that tells you if you missed any calls or sms (not sure about email) before you actually unlock the phone.

Whenever I think I have a missed call or sms, all it takes is to hit the home button. If there is no popup notification window, I simply stick it back in my pocket and continue on. If there is, then I'll slide to unlock and check it.

18. pelicanparts macrumors newbie

One year later, and Apple still hasn't added this seemingly simple feature to the iPhone. It is indeed halting me from getting one, as I need to use my phone to monitor whether my servers go down or not.

Quite frustrating. That and a few other things (like no multimedia messaging, no cut and paste?). Seems like they would have accomplished a bit more in a year...

-Wayne

19. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

regardless, its still an amazing phone.

i never thought id need cut and paste, but for hte last week ive found myself needing it.

hmm.

20. pelicanparts macrumors newbie

I disagree slightly. It's an amazing device. My wife has one, and I have an iPod Touch. But it's not that great an actual *phone* when compared to the other dedicated phones out there. I really thought V2 would fix a lot of the things that were "wrong" with the phone part, but they seem to have neglected that. In fact, after a year of continuous development, I'm really quite disappointed that the new update didn't include a whole bunch of features that are common on other devices, yet somehow have been left off of the iPhone.

I sent my wife a picture from my Razr the other day (a phone that I would love to replace with an iPhone, but can't due to no voicemail reminder beep), and she couldn't read it. AT&T sent her some message about clicking and going to another website with some bizarre username/password that she would have had to write down and then retype in (because, there's no cut and paste). I didn't believe her when she first described that to me...

So, I'll keep waiting.

-Wayne

21. dranakin macrumors 6502