Potential 12" rMBA or refurb 13" rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kristiano, Jan 25, 2015.

1. kristiano macrumors regular

I have had a 13" 2012 MBA since launch and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately, a glass of water later and Apple indicates that this will be almost $800 to repair.

At this point, I'm trying to decide between a refurbished 13" 2014 rMBP or waiting (hopefully no later than early March) for the rumored 12" rMBA. I'm aware that specs for the latter are unconfirmed (1 USB Type-C, Core M processor, etc), but for the purpose of this post, let's just assume that they're more or less accurate.

My main needs are word processing, internet browsing and video playing. I could potentially wait until early March for a new laptop, although that's a bit of a pain. Lighter is generally better, though I have played around with the 13" rMBP and it seems to be of a decent weight.

What would you do in this position?

2. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

I'd wait at this point.. The production of new 12" MBA is under way if you believe supply chain rumors.. So it can't be too long before it's announced / released.

3. motrek macrumors 68020

It has been underway for a year and a half at least, if you believe the rumors.

----------

If you need a laptop in the interim, get a used 2010 or 2011 model on Craigslist for $450 to $500. When the new one comes out, buy that one and sell the used one.

It might be worth slightly less because of the announcement of the new model but the people buying old used MacBooks are a different market than the ones shopping for the latest model that costs at least twice as much.

And definitely sell the one you have for parts on Craigslist or eBay. $800 is too much to fix a laptop when you can get a newer, better refurb for the same price.

4. ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

Well, no. The 12" Air has been rumored for a while, but there are now specific rumors about it's being in production. This usually means imminent announcement and release.