Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MarkCollette said:
Wouldn't it be funny if there is no set day for the announcement, it'll just be whenever enough of the old stock has been sold? Wouldn't it be funny if the rumors community was slowing down sales, and thus being the cause of the delay in new products? That'd be hilarious! :)

So, we've got to tell people how now is the opportune moment to be a new computer. That it doesn't matter how good the new machines will be, but that they'll save money on the discounts :)

Oh course we ourselves will still hold out for the new stuff... :cool:

You could really be onto something. Thank you for a quick laugh. I'm sure Steve is really getting a laugh out of our predictions. Only he know the true timing and reason.

SwitchHitter

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Why aren't there any Apple employees that are telling all?

I'm patiently waiting for the release of an updated Powerbook before I purchase - but I have a question for those that read/post here.

Why aren't the insiders at Apple that share release dates (actual/expected, etc.) - or share what's going to be updated.

Logically, there would be a lot of people that would have the information, from the developers, to secretaries, to marketing/pr and advertising to people that are involved in the supply chain, etc.

Just curious.. it seems that anon. postings from apple employees would be rampant. For example - I would think THERE ARE A FEW APPLE EMPLOYEES that could share when the next Powerbook update would be.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
The Lesson of Adam

Sure, there are many at Apple who could tell you exactly what the new product plans are. They won't, because it's bad for the company and particulary bad for their long-term employment prospects.

Why? Settle back, young 'uns. Let me tell you a story of a man named Adam.

Adam was a very bright guy. He wrote the book on microcomputers (seriously). He saw all these poor slobs with burned fingers from trying to build their own computers and said to himself, People don't need the best / fastest / biggest computer around. They need something that's good enough. They need a Volkswagen.

So he hired the legendary Lee Felsenstein to design one. The result was the first computer I seriously lusted after. It came with a full suite of software, was portable, could fit under an airline seat, and cost only $1,795. The Osborne 1.

Sure, it had a 5" screen and dual single-sided, single-density (90K!) floppy drives. But it was good enough. It sold like hotcakes. "You ain't seen nuthin' yet!" boasted Adam Osborne. "Wait'll you see the next version!"

"Next version? I'll wait for that one!" said the computer buying public, and sat on their wallets. Manufacturing glitches stalled the release of the Osborne Executive, but the idea that the Next Big Thing was imminent made the Osborne 1 unmarketable. It piled up in warehouses. By the time the Executive shipped, the cash-flow crunch had sent the company into bankruptcy.

Osborne Computer restructured and emerged from bankruptcy with The Ultimate Portable, called the Vixen. It was truly an incredibly well-thought-out machine. Unfortunately, it was also 1985 by this time, and no one was interested in CP/M boxes anymore. Osborne Computer sank without a trace.

Adam Osborne passed away last April. Sic transit gloria mundi.

To use a quote from "Bored of the Rings,"

Against the True King Sorhed's workin',
So play your cards close to your jerkin.
'Cause fortune strums a mournful tune,
For those whose campaigns peak too soon.

SwitchHitter said:
I'm patiently waiting for the release of an updated Powerbook before I purchase - but I have a question for those that read/post here.

Why aren't the insiders at Apple that share release dates (actual/expected, etc.) - or share what's going to be updated.

Logically, there would be a lot of people that would have the information, from the developers, to secretaries, to marketing/pr and advertising to people that are involved in the supply chain, etc.

Just curious.. it seems that anon. postings from apple employees would be rampant. For example - I would think THERE ARE A FEW APPLE EMPLOYEES that could share when the next Powerbook update would be.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
nightcap965 said:
Sure, there are many at Apple who could tell you exactly what the new product plans are. They won't, because it's bad for the company and particulary bad for their long-term employment prospects.

Why? Settle back, young 'uns. Let me tell you a story of a man named Adam.....

Well-written! Of course, there is that whole deal of Steve pre-pre-pre-announcing the 3GHz model LAST SUMMER....

:)

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Planned Obsolescence

You may be right, but this isn't 1982. We now *expect* computer product cycles to be shorter than the lifespan of the average May fly. This will only be a problem if nothing ships within the next month. If it becomes obvious that the next machine will be released in the promised 3 GHz timeframe, I think people will do the calculus and sit on their wallets, waiting for a machine that is a full 50% faster than the current model.

On a personal note, I own all three Osborne models. I also own a rather neat aftermarket item: a fresnel lens mounted on rods that attached to the computer, to make the 5" screen look bigger! While I couldn't afford it when I first saw it, the computer market decrees that a computer over three years old is utterly obsolete. In fact, in my town, you can't even throw them away without paying a fee.

A number of pundits have reared up on their hind legs and declared that no one save graphics professionals needs the power of a dual G5. Five years from now, you'll be lucky if you can palm it off on your nephew.

It's a great time to be a geek!

jsw said:
Well-written! Of course, there is that whole deal of Steve pre-pre-pre-announcing the 3GHz model LAST SUMMER....

:)

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
An Offer I Can't Refuse

What a difference a day makes. OK, there is one way to get me to part with my money: offer me an irresistible discount on the monitor I really wanted when I buy the Big Kahuna, and give me unmistakable hints that the next revision won't be out for another quarter.

I'm heading for the Apple store this morning.

nightcap965 said:
You may be right, but this isn't 1982. We now *expect* computer product cycles to be shorter than the lifespan of the average May fly. This will only be a problem if nothing ships within the next month. If it becomes obvious that the next machine will be released in the promised 3 GHz timeframe, I think people will do the calculus and sit on their wallets, waiting for a machine that is a full 50% faster than the current model.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
nightcap965 said:
What a difference a day makes. OK, there is one way to get me to part with my money: offer me an irresistible discount on the monitor I really wanted when I buy the Big Kahuna, and give me unmistakable hints that the next revision won't be out for another quarter.

I'm heading for the Apple store this morning.

Which Apple Store did you visit? Which monitor did you end up purchasing?

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
Barbie's Drive-In Theater

wdlove said:
Which Apple Store did you visit? Which monitor did you end up purchasing?

I was there when they rolled up the door at the Cambridgeside Galleria this morning. I'm now sitting in front of a 23" Cinema Display, spanned to my 17" LDC - talk about wide open spaces! I bought the big one, the dual 2 GHz G5, and I'm happy as the proverbial clam.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
sweet

nightcap965 said:
I was there when they rolled up the door at the Cambridgeside Galleria this morning. I'm now sitting in front of a 23" Cinema Display, spanned to my 17" LDC - talk about wide open spaces! I bought the big one, the dual 2 GHz G5, and I'm happy as the proverbial clam.

man, thats a sweet set up

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
nightcap965 said:

Congratulations on your purchase, nightcap965. ;) Now you can be enjoying your G5 while the rest of us wait on the fence. Have you noticed any problems?

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
A Happy Mac

wdlove said:
Congratulations on your purchase, nightcap965. ;) Now you can be enjoying your G5 while the rest of us wait on the fence. Have you noticed any problems?

The only glitch was a problem with the optical drive door - a minor issue with the alignment of the drive that was resolved in five minutes. The system has been performing perfectly. I'm still delighted with its quiet power. I feel like I've hardly tapped its potential. It's handled everything I've thrown at it with effortless grace.

I'm glad I got off the fence. Waiting for the Next Big Thing is like running on a hamster wheel - it keeps you busy, but you don't get anwhere. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.