Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Griff48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Hello. I have my SGS on eBay. A potential buyer wants the AppleCare # and serial number. Is this safe to provide? Thanks!

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Definitely safe. Not sure what this other people are saying, no one can do anything with those information.
No facts.

For extra safety call and ask Apple. 90%+ of the comments here from other members contain no facts.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Definitely safe. Not sure what this other people are saying, no one can do anything with those information.
No facts.

For extra safety call and ask Apple. 90%+ of the comments here from other members contain no facts.

Would you give your car's VIN number out at random? Your phone number? Your birthday?

A random person off Craigslist doesn't need the serial number for a watch.

Griff48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Would you give your car's VIN number out at random? Your phone number? Your birthday?

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's better to be safe than sorry....as usual.

Last edited by a moderator:

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Don't. He's trying to scam you.

lol. Not necessarily.

There is an Apple website that you can use to check warranties. I've seen serial numbers exchanged before solely for this purpose.

There is very little he can do with the serial number. Maybe try to move the device over into his support profile, but I'm not sure what he could do with that besides see what the device's service history is.

For everyone saying it is a scam or dangerous, what can they do with the serial number?

Personally, I would not do it, just to be safe, unless he has a good feedback rating and is serious about the purchase. But I cannot think of any specific danger in doing so. Maybe except for him using it to give to other people while trying to scam them (i.e. using your serial number for when they run warranty checks).

Reactions: xRYD3Rx

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
lol. Not necessarily.

There is an Apple website that you can use to check warranties. I've seen serial numbers exchanged before solely for this purpose.

There is very little he can do with the serial number. Maybe try to move the device over into his support profile, but I'm not sure what he could do with that besides see what the device's service history is.

This. I would want the serial number, and I also would have no problem giving it out. What can someone do with your serial number? You have the proof of purchase.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
My policy is the winning bidder gets the serial number.

Simply reply with "I'll give the serial number to the winning bidder. If you're interested in this item, please place a bid."

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
I currently have 2 iPhones listed on my eBay that I have 12k+ feedbacks. In the description I listed 2 info - 1. Serial # (To check through the apple website when warranty expires) 2. IMEI # (To contact carrier to see if phones is no stolen/financed and clear to be activated)

Buyer can't do anything with those information to harm me.
Those information is provided for an honest transaction. If someones sees something wrong with that please reply to this post with a fact and valid reason why its not a good idea to give out that info. Thanks

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010

My cars VIN # is on the front windshield anyone can come take a look @ it.
If i am selling my car of course I will give out the VIN because I am a honest seller. Why be suspicious for no reason?
OP is selling an item that has a serial # BUYER wants to confirm when the items warranty/applecare expires.
Definitely I dont see anything wrong with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.