Potential convert. 2 Questions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shackler, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Hey!
    Im going off to university and i already know im getting a mid-range whitebook soon not exactly sure when which i why i have 2 questions

1. will the refurds come with Leopard of tiger when leopard comes out?

2. in order to run windows on my Mac what else will i need other than parallels?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They'll probably come with Leopard, but you'll have to check the individual item and see what it says. Along with Parallels, you'll need a licensed copy of Windows. :)

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

1). What is a refurd? If you meant refund... err, I'm still lost. Basically the current OS is 10.4 (tiger). If you get a Mac now this is the OS that you will have and will need to purchase Leopard when it comes out (for $130).

2). You can do Parallels... or you can do Bootcamp, which is free, and allows for full use of your hardware (but you'll have to restart each time). The only other thing you'll need is a copy of Windows.

4. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

I take it they are referring to the refurbished items - The refurbs are based on machines that have been returned to apple (generally within the 14 days after purchase), and therefore may or may not be running leopard. My guess is that it will take about a month or so after release until we start seeing reasonably large amounts of leopard machines up there.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You may be right, although it is entirely possible that those machines will get "Drop In Disks" that are basically upgrade-only versions of OS X Install disks. If your refurb machine does not come with a Leopard disk, or pre-installed, you could try going to an Apple Store and asking for one of those disks.

6. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Good point, that would make sense come to think of it.