Potential critical problem with iPhone charger - almost caught fire

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hamillm, Jul 29, 2009.

1. hamillm macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this.

My girlfriend plugged her iPhone 3G into the wall charger earlier tonight (and yes, it is the updated USB charger with the 'green dot'). About 5 minutes later I thought I smelled smoke in the bedroom. We looked around for a few seconds and saw that it was coming from her iPhone 3G. After we pulled the plug we saw that the connecter which was plugged into the phone was melted and charred. The base of the phone was also extremely hot to the touch but the case of the phone itself was fine.

Looking at the connector from the front the char marks are just to the right of the connector symbol (about 3mm) , and it appears that the spot which was overheating and beginning to char is about 2mm under the plastic part of the connecter. I have pictures and would post them if I could figure out how.

This could have been a real problem as if we had not been in the room it looks like it easily could have caught fire if we had not been unplugged it when we did.

Tried the iPhone with a different charger and it appears to be working fine.

Any ideas? I tried a google search for the issue and found one other report of this - with the connector burned in the exact same spot. (Link below)

http://techfever.net/2009/03/05/iphone-3g-charger-melted-and-burned/

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I know the macbook chargers have this problem when they get all bent out and begin to short.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

Wow that sounds dangerous. If I was you I would call up apple and tell them what happened, you might get offered something in return for not suing them lol

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Apple's got to step up their product quality control. My best friend's Macbook Air's charger melted and partially fused/glued onto his Macbook Air. Luckily he got everything replaced free of charge.

It's most likely a faulty charger, get it replaced and make sure nothing is wrong with the iPhone. If anything, I'm sure you could make a case of it to the Genius Bar and they can replace it.