Potential Dell All-in-one purchaser needs help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macabouttobe, Nov 28, 2007.

1. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Friends,

Expecting my first Mac ever in a week or so.. My Father in-law just sent me the following E-mail and I would appreciate any on-topic responses I can give him on making his decision. I have already weighed in that I suggest an Imac and doubt his HD TV requirements are really what he meant.(1080..) so he's mostly aiming toward TV viewing.. Thanks in advance !
    <cut and paste starting here>

For the past year, we (mostly me) have been thinking about our next computer system in the event this old HP dies and I can’t bring it back to life easily (cheaply). Mom and I are always at odds fighting to use the desktop (the old county laptop loaded with Amateur Radio stuff works but is very slow and not user friendly). As time goes on, Mom is becoming more of a user and probably would do more if a computer was more convenient and available.

Looking at our needs (and Mom’s constraints, primarily associated with NOT wanting a computer & printer on the Kitchen Desk), I have been waiting for a very specific design which would meet our needs which are:

- Combine it with a HDTV tuner and about a 20” or so display that would replace our existing 13” TV on the Kitchen Counter (by the Coffee Maker)

- Must have a wireless keyboard and mouse capable of operating from the kitchen island High Seats (about 6 feet away) - - the underside of the island top seating area has the perfect storage area for the keyboard/mouse

- Must be capable of interfacing with the cable modem setup and wireless networking (maybe use the Ethernet wired method)

- Must be capable of remotely printing (maybe wireless) but this should be an easy fix assuming the above networking

- A good built-in web cam, speaker/headset options and reasonable sound system, CD/DVD burner, Camera inputs, etc.

I think this new Dell series will fit our bill: http://www.dell.com/content/product...ne?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=bundlestab#tn11

I can get a Ford Employee discount and some free goodies which will lower the price about 8%.

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Future needs?

I have read some horror cases about the Logitech wireless keyboards; hopefully Dell has their act together!

XOXOXO,

Dad

2. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

For everything that your pops is stating he needs, I don't see why a 20" iMac would not great for him. Just purchase an elgato USB HDTV tuner and boom you're all set. The great thing also about the iMac that you need to show him is Front Row and the simplicity of it especially with Leopard. I think you just need to take him to an Apple Store so that he can see first hand how great the iMac really is.

3. marcg007 macrumors member

One of the big reasons not to get that...

Windows Vista. I say this not just because Mac is my platform of choice, but also because I do tech support as a consultant on both Windows and Macintosh and because I know so many people who are dealing with Vista right now and really unhappy with it. As another example, my Father-in-law was given a new computer for his birthday last April. Was not the top of the line machine by any stretch but speed wise was fairly middle of the road. This was before the PC makers started offering XP as an option so his wife and son had no choice but to get him this machine with Vista installed.
    Problem #1 - most of his peripherals were no more than 2 years old but there were no driver updates for Vista or whatever drivers there were, were still beta at that time. Between my Brother-in-law and myself, we were able to get just about everything working reasonably well but it took many hours of trial and error.
    Problem #2 - All of his anti virus/anti spyware had to be updated and let me tell you, that was not a fun experience.
    Problem #3 - Here we are 7 months later and my Father-in-law is commenting about the fact that he usually leaves his computer in sleep mode because it takes 10 minutes to start up.
    I can add more to this if you want but am running out the door. If you want more, let me know and I'll add it later. Also, I suspect many other people will add more as well. best of luck.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Now I'm kinda getting angry. :mad:

This is not a "Dell" site. It's like going into a Mercedez Benz dealer and asking which Yugo is good to get.

How about NONE of them...

http://www.ihatedell.net

I work on Dells all day at work. They are horrible...

I think the mods need to take a look at these types of posts - fine to say "should I get a Mac instead of PC" - but "what PC should I get?" Go to the PC websites...

And don't reply "you're just a fanboy, or you can't go on your own experiences" - I'm not the only one...

http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/why-do-customers-hate-dell-f32.html

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

20" 2.0GHz iMac is a far better machine. Couple with an EyeTV and Vista Home he will have a much better experience. Remember, Apple has been building all-in-ones a lot longer than Dell has.

I agree with gkarris with regards to this being a bit off forum topic (you are in an Apple Hardware forum, after all) but I gather you wanted some arguments as to why an iMac would be better.

6. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

I can't believe the prices Dell is charging for these systems. I know it has a blu-ray drive the top $2400 model but still, it has a slower CPU, slower video card, and a smaller screen than the 24" iMac for $100 cheaper, and I could care less about blu-ray playback right now, especially on a 20" non full 1080 capable display.

Yet people still think Apple is the most expensive computer brand.

7. discomandavis macrumors member

well for one the new dell all-in-one is incredibly loud (im talking about fans, and hard drive boot noise you know the anoying clicking sound) however the imac is relatively quiet. Also the dell doest have a glossy screen, which personally i think is optimal for movie watching. and lastly argue that you dont need to keep paying for updates on your virus definitons cuz you dont need them on a mac, there are no real viruses for them. i agree with the idea of taking him to an apple store

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Thankfully, this is a place where people can get help on all sorts of matters, including with their PCs. Some of us, not me thankfully, have to use both types of machine and work with or support their families' Windows boxes every day. No-one wants this place to be a complete slavering Machead fanzone.

I think forum members would do well to read what the forum rules and the FAQ have to say about what is permissable or not on these boards.

As you were...

9. macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Right on! I'm exactly looking for talking points on how an iMac can meet his needs. Most of you have been very helpful, for I I do not have a mac yet and I'm relying on anyone's real life experience with what he is wanting to do. Maybe my subject could have been better worded, but I see this as a soft ball pitch to all you bat-swingin' mac enthusiasts. Not looking for any Dell enthusiasts..

Thanks,
    Mark - via mobile phone

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You have to remember that Apple has been the only one to successfuly market an All-In-One (AIO).

This guy I know has a Gateway AIO. Nice machine, but was outdated quickly, so he can't reuse the LCD. Barely 3 years old, it's gathering dust.

Macs tend to last longer, so an AIO Mac is a better value... I know of people still using G3 iMacs!

11. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I think the gripes are coming from the fact that there seems to be a recent influx of Dell vs. Apple comparisons made by people with very low post counts <cough newbies cough>. In another thread someone suggested that there may be some intentional astroturfing and that maybe someone getting paid.

I know that these Dell vs. Apple threads have been going on since forever, but recently it seems to have been a big pick up. I think that some of us who have been on this site for a while are getting fatigued by these threads. Of course, we don'thave to view these threads, but it does mean that wee have to scroll further down the Hardware Forum in order to get to threads that are more worthwhile.

Just sayin'.

12. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

MacRumors: Love Forum

Right on Blue Velvet. The people in this forum are a vast resource of information ranging from current events discussion to web design and development. Apple products are obviously the focus, but if someone has a somewhat related question that we can answer, let's help them out. If you don't want to, then don't. I'm thankful for the people here that have helped me.

Right now, in the picture gallery forum, there is a thread about the braces a young forum member just had removed. Really fun topic for her. In community discussion, there is an Egg Nog thread. Probably the best thread ever. Let's keep MacRumors a love forum.

-Ado

13. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Noted. While I agree that trolls are annoying, and n00bs can be trying, I find the fanboys even more annoying because they don't ignore a troll thread but rather get all worked up and keep on posting and keeping the thread on top. I think here, as the OP said, the advice being sought after was a means to convince their father-in-law to go iMac over Dell and still meet his needs. The Elgato usb HDTV tuner in particular was great advice to accomplish this, as were the hardware and pricing comparisons. But, sorry you had to scroll. I can only offer my condolences to your poor fingers.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A computer on the kitchen counter is a horrible place to be.

Buy the $99 LCD tv ... which will be a lot less than a computer TV tuner system, and not a waste of a $2+ system to take the place of a $99-199 tv.

15. macabouttobe thread starter macrumors regular

macabouttobe

Hmm. LCD TV! You may be on to something. First on-topic post in a while, I hope all of their day wasn't ruined because some thought my post was more about Dell... Which I sincerely will take blame for the way I worded it.

I'll do some more searching - Maybe a Mac-Mini, Wireless keyboard, and an LCD TV would be the best thing for him. I'll search some of the forums for people who have this set-up.

I just got a call from my wife that my Imac arrived! Can't wait to open it up tonight!

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They also have the flip down TV that fit under the cabinet, which should take up less space than one of the old 13" CRT TV cubes.

But if you are going to place a machine on a kitchen desk, an AIO like the iMac or Dell would likely be a better choice.

The Mini still would take up a bit more room even though it is cheaper and reuses a lot of the current equipment. Still would look cluttered.

So it sounds like your mom would probably like the flip down LCD tv and an AIO computer in the kitchen.

17. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Helps to be in the right thread!

I hear these behind-the-LCD Mac Mini mounts are cool:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/05/lcd.mount.for.mac.mini/

You can get a nice LCD-TV, mount the Mini behind it, and you have an Almost-In-One setup!

18. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Even if you can get xp instead of vista, I'd go with the iMac, it's cheaper than the Dell all in one.

19. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I will say this: Vista is actually one of the reasons to go for machines like this. The media experience, especially with TV/DVR facilities included, is I think notably superior to what you'll get with a Mac, with only slightly less shininess in the user experience.

The Dell does look ideal for the purpose. Since it's a one-box solution encapsulating your entire requirements it's one single point of support (and don't skimp on support).

I'm not exactly short of a few pennies when it comes to picking stuff for home entertainment, I don't like hassle when it's just looking at a few movies, watching telly or listening to music and I have gone the Mac route before - and found it just didn't work for me. The experience can be disjointed and inflexible in comparison with Vista MC when you really want to bring all your media together on a Mac in a 'media center experience', which is ironic. I'm very happy with Vista Media Center now that most of the leading tuners available, and other supporting hardware, are properly supported - took'em long enough :rolleyes:

If you must go Mac, then the iMac is an elegant solution as a computing system and it's not too kludgy with the Elgato solution. But honestly, I think the Dell is a better one-box solution if your needs centre around media (once again, somewhat ironically) than general-purpose computing.