Potential fix for the Proximity Sensor-

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 30, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Here is the best possible solution, in my opinion, for how Apple can fix the proximity sensor issue if it truly is not fixable with software.
    Create a new option for us to choose in SETTINGS that does the following:

1) When you make or receive a call, and place the phone to the ear, the sensor activates and the screen shuts off. (The problems with the sensor that we are all having is not the screen doesn't shut off right away, it is that after a bit, it turns back on and you face-dial).

2) The screen should now be shut off permanently. Even if you pull the phone away, it should not be allowed to come back on.

3) If you want to access the phone settings while in a call (ie mute, facetime, keypad), simply hit the home button. If you want to access the iPhone apps while within a call, simply double click the home button.

4) Once you return the phone back to the ear, Step 1 restarts.

What worries me is that Apple may rather do nothing and deny the issue exists, rather than do the simple fix I outlined above, simply so they don't have to admit there is a problem. While not a perfect solution, something tells me this is the best we can hope for.

Thoughts?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Very respectfully I want to say that is a bad idea, if there is a hardware problem they need to do a recall and fix it, if there is not a hardware problem (as apple insist) them they need to correct it in software with the original implementation.

A crazy Band-aid in software like that seen simple unacceptable to me.

that said, I really haven't had any issues with the prox sensor

if the breaks on my car don't work property it is not aceptable to me that the manufacture tells me to carry 150 pounds on my trunk so the car slow down faster, why would it be acceptable in a phone? (just a crazy "extreme" example)

3. skiltrip macrumors 68030

along these lines, i wouldn't mind if after the screen when blank, you had to "slide to unlock" to get back to whatever screen you were on when you put it up to your ear. then your face can hit it all you want. but you gotta slide to unlock it.

but again, like the 2nd poster, i'd rather they just fix the darned thing in the software like they said they were going to do.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Huh? During the press conference, Steve already acknowledged that there was an issue and that they are actively working on a fix.

5. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

One reason that leads me to believe it is software and not hardware is that not everyone has this problem. I for one have had my phone since 6/23 and have no antenna issue or prox issue.

6. michaelfields macrumors regular

Except the part of the press conference where Steve Jobs said, "we know about the proximity sensor, we're working on it."

7. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I agree with you 100%. But I am being realistic. Apple will barely acknowledge the issue and they will NEVER do a recall or hardware fix on this version of iPhone. I have spoken to 5 AppleCare support people and 4 Genius Bar reps and all, with a straight face, say the same thing: They have never heard of the problem even after Steve very briefly mentioned it at his press conference:

Steve's exact quote on July 16.

"We're tracking some problems with the proximity sensor, and we're working on some solutions and hopefully we'll get those into the next software update... this seems to affect, again, a fairly small number of users but it's probably a pesky problem for those users so we'll try to get it fixed as fast as we can...... White iphones will start shipping at the end of July."

My interpretation: if it was a software glitch only, it wouldn't be something they needed to work at length on, and "hopefully" be able to fix soon and "try" to fix as fast as they can. There is a true hardware issue probably related to the altered location of the sensor vs previous iPhones (iPhone 4's sensor is directed right in your ear canal's valley, vs prior iPhones which had a sensor higher up and hit the skin on the ear) , and what Apple is doing is trying to come up with some sort of software fix that will improve (but probably not 100% fix) the issue. It is kind of a vague promise as to when the fix is coming, but if you took him at his word, the fix should have come in 4.0.1.

Also, on July 14 at the press conference he promised White iPhones ship within 2 weeks. One week later, Apple announced that white iPhone's may not be released until 2011. Thus you can't accept everything Steve says as the gospel truth.

8. jsbaugh macrumors 6502

I have about reached the end of my rope with the PS issue on my phone. I will accidentally hit mute on almost all of my calls now. Its ridiculous and driving me nutz. Same happens to the wifes phone. If this was a simple software issue Apple would have fixed it by now.

9. x986 macrumors regular

The PS problem seems to be a MAJOR problem affecting (effecting?) a MINOR number of people. I still maintain that it is a QC issue. My first phone (Week 27) did it practically every call. My second phone (Week 27) has done it 2-3 times in 10 days, which is still not acceptable over the long term, but I can live with it FOR A WHILE.

10. andy9l macrumors 68000

I have never experienced this problem before so would be intrigued to know if you guys who do experience it actually push the phone to your head whilst in a call?

I'm not talking pressing it to your face so you get a nice iPhone outline, but lightly resting it on your ear and cheek. I have always done this with phones and it seems that I'm now benefitting from this. It could be just one explanation as to why 'a minority' are reporting problems.

11. manhole1 macrumors newbie

I press the phone completely to my ear. The problem seems to be the worst when the earpiece / proximity sensor is directly over my ear canal.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

It is definitely a problem with my iP4. I have had EVERY model iPhone and NEVER had an issue with the prox sensor until this phone. It is utterly impossible to talk with the phone wedged between your shoulder and face...

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I agreed but if they come out with something like what you propose them it is a hardware problem and we should not accept anything even close to that, and make such a big deal out of until the stock start falling, them you will see attention to the matter. That's all I am saying. I agree that there won;t be a recall, but I won't take any BS work around like that it will feel like a insult to my face.

14. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Which of course where logic would have it be since you want the speaker to be over your ear canal as well, and the sensor is millimeters away from the speaker.

This is why I am infuriated when Apple Genius bar people tell me to hold the phone differently or a little higher or lower, so the sensor is touching my ear or my cheek. The speaker (and thus sensor) needs to be at my ear canal!