Potential Force Touch Related Question.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jponce97, Jul 20, 2015.

1. jponce97 macrumors member

If Apple does indeed bring force touch to the iPad Air 3 this fall, would they go and make the iPad Air 3 thicker than the Air 2?
    I only ask this and sorry if it's been asked before but it's because we all know how easy it is to have the little "ripple" effect on today's Air 2's. I can get it just by lifting it with normal force not to mention pressing hard on the screen causes the LCD to get the ripple effect on a larger scale. I can't imaging pressing for force touch on such a thin tablet. People would complain or be worried about LCD damage from all the rippling.
    Any thoughts on this?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Force touch would technically add thickness to the iPad

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That's a good question. Unfortunately, I don't think we can know the answer until the iPhone 6s and 6s+ are released. If the 6s+ increases to 7.3mm in thickness, then it could be possible that the iPad Air 3 increase in thickness as well. In fact, it would coincidentally follow the same pattern as the iPad, iPad 2, and iPad 3 (a set thickness, then much thinner, then slightly thicker).

4. jponce97 thread starter macrumors member

But if it dos would you speculate it would be enough to make it thick enough to where the iPad screen won't ripple under basic touches?
    I know nobody knows this but Apple but just speculating.