Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prechrchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
Partly academic question, partly not...

Ok, when someone buys a copy of OS X, the EULA dictates that they only install it on a computer made by Apple.

Question: if I start upgrading my Mac Pro (possibly changing out the Motherboard/CPU, harddrives, et), at what point does it no longer qualify as an "Apple" computer? If I swap out everything inside my case for newer and better components, is it still considered an "Apple" computer?

Any idea where the line is drawn?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
My opinion is the motherboard. Everything else (RAM, hard drives, expansion cards,etc.) are all user replaceable per the warrantee. The motherboard certainly would not be. The EFI on the motherboard is what sets a Mac apart from a PC....

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
But then don't you still have the right to do that because you purchased an Apple motherboard with the original Mac Pro?

And does it matter that the OS really just goes on the harddrive?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
But then don't you still have the right to do that because you purchased an Apple motherboard with the original Mac Pro?

No. If you buy a Mac that doesn't turn a Dell, HP, or 'white box' system into an Apple labeled computer. [ No, sticky a cheesy Apple decal on a white box doesn't make it an Apple labeled computer either. Swapping out to a non-Apple labeled motherboard is effectively the same chessy act as putting on a sticker on the outside. The aluminum case is not a computer. At that point it is just a really expensive sticker. ]

And does it matter that the OS really just goes on the harddrive?

The OS won't run just on a hard drive. It is a usage license. You are not "using" the OS if it is only on the hard drive. If the OS doesn't come into contact with a CPU and RAM it won't run.

There is nothing special or distinctive about the media the OS arrived on.
Where the copy of the code comes from is immaterial. Being in contact with the CPU/RAM to run is subject to the conditions of the license. One of those conditions is that it is an Apple labeled computer.

prechrchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
One of those conditions is that it is an Apple labeled computer.

I guess this is the question: how do you define "Apple Labeled Computer"?

Has Apple ever issued any sort of guidelines or standards for this question?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I guess this is the question: how do you define "Apple Labeled Computer"?

Has Apple ever issued any sort of guidelines or standards for this question?

The guidelines are common sense and the trademark laws. I know it is a huge stretch to rely on those but that what they have.

It is a computer that Apple (not somebody else) put their trademark logo/label on. Apple motherboards have these. All Mac are labeled as products of Apple. That mark of "made by Apple" is the 'label'. Pragmatically, for most users it is the combination of the the two. However, if strip apple's case it motherboard one is minimally necessary since the "naked" board becomes the computer.

No 3rd party motherboard is going to have that. If you gut the case it isn't a "computer".

I common sense litmus test is "if sold a bunch of these would Apple sue?". If you sell several computers that look exactly like Macs but aren't Apple computers ... they'll likely show up. If they are going to sue Samsung because some icons and artifacts are alike, they are certain going to show up when the computer looks exactly like their design (... well because it is their exact design.)

Now if you put their guts in some harderned case (tough book) or kiosk they probably won't. The relatively obvious intent in that the Apple software be run on the Apple hardware it was designed for. The external case makes no material impact on how that runs.

prechrchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
So in other words, a best guess is that if the Motherboard stays the same, I am probably ok, but if I change that out I would probably be in violation of the EULA?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I took a 1,1 to 3,1 to include a new MoBo (64 bit EFI) and never gave the EULA any thought. It's still an Apple branded computer just not in the configuration it left the final assembly point in.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If this were so, I could build a hackintosh using a Mac Pro case, and it would be fine with Apple. Somehow, I don't think they would go for that.

Bummer. You did not feel the sarcasm fire.
And of course not for the latter comment.
Just a case with a sticker on it: No.
Just an Apple branded Mobo and custom procs or something: No
An Apple branded Mobo and Procs and everything else in a Custom case: Still no.
We can keep it going but eventually the complete Mac comes into view.
Only user serviceable parts (as deemed by the manual that came with your Mac dictates) can be swapped out without voiding a warranty. Beyond that they can determine whatever they want. If you don't care, as I don't, you take on your own responsibility with tinkering outcomes. If you care, don't tinker. No company can have support guidelines that covers all the geeks out there doing God knows what with their hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.