Potential iAlertU situation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lil666jrkatz, Jan 23, 2008.

1. lil666jrkatz macrumors member

hi guys,

I do not yet have a Mac, but I saw the program iAlertU which seems very useful. I was wondering if the following is possible using this software: someone steals my MacBook (which is turned off or in sleep mode), takes it home, opens it, and the MacBook takes a picture and emails it to me. Can this be done or does the MacBook have to be awake?

Thanks a lot

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

iAlertU takes a picture and sends it to an email that you have set, so you would have to hope there is wifi..

4. lil666jrkatz thread starter macrumors member

5. theman macrumors 6502a

yeah, the thing about the picture.... the iSight camera points OUT towards somebody SITTING DOWN at the computer. anyone stealing the computer (well, I guess this is if the comp is open), would come in, STANDING UP, above the iSight, and close it, setting off the alarm. You would be lucky to get a pic of their stomach. You could only get a picture of somebody who sat down, looked up, and then just started to use your computer normally (and even then, it doesn't come out good, I've tried it.).

edit: just read about undercover... wow, that looks amazing... I guess if it takes pics at regular intervals, this would not be an issue at all....