Potential iPhone 5 screen size?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shurcooL, Apr 3, 2012.

1. shurcooL, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Apple typically supports the last 3 generations of an iOS device. When the next iPhone (5?) comes out, 3GS and its 480x320 screen will get pushed out, leaving only 4/4S and the 960x640 resolution. That opens up the opportunity to introduce a new resolution*.

[​IMG]

The current iPhone has a pretty thick bezel, which gives some room to increase the screen size without increasing the physical phone size.

Here's how three potential screen sizes stack up in terms of physical size. Note that even the 5" screen is still about the same size as the total size of the physical iPhone 4S... If they can get rid of the bezels completely. *dreams*

---

This is the screen of iPhone 4/4S:

[​IMG]

I've noticed that if you increase its width by 25% and height by 50% you get:

[​IMG]

Coincidence? You tell me.

The reason I didn't multiply the width by 50% is because it becomes too wide for fingers to grip. But there's no reason not to increase the height more. Well, it changes the aspect ratio of the screen of course.

If you wanted a more boring/conservative 25%/25% increase in both directions, you'd get this.

---
    *iPhone Apps would have to be updated to support the new resolution. Old apps would be displayed in the 3.5" middle part of the screen (no smaller than on iPhone 4S screen) with black borders, or scaled by 1.25x to fill screen. Similar to how iPad 1 ran iPhone apps in 1x or 2x mode.

2. ap3604, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Just buy a galaxy note if you want a 5inch screen (I'm considering buying one myself).

I would say the iPhone 5 would be no more then 4 inches or so, IF Apple even changed the screen size at all.

4. shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

You're confusing screen size vs. phone size.

I'm suggesting the screen can be made much larger while keeping the physical phone size nearly the same, since the current iPhones have *really* thick bezels.

Would you rather look at useless bezel or screen real estate?

[​IMG]

5. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Two problems. The Note is an ANDROID phone and it has issues like terrible battery life and over saturated colors.

6. ap3604, Apr 3, 2012
  7. shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, the huge-screen Android/Windows Phone smartphones tend to have good battery life because their body sizes are larger. Yes, a larger screen draws more power, but a larger phone size fits a larger battery too.

They could increase iPhone's body size by 10-20% and it would still be relatively small compared to the 4.5+ inch Android behemoths that have large screens *AND* large bezels hehe.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

So??

9. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I don't want to sound rude here, but I want to question your ideas. Why do you think larger devices would make people looks like idiots? Could you explain your reasons? I'd be very interested to hear you put them into words.

10. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Many people including myself don't want an Android device, we prefer Apple.

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Also its build quality is something to be desired along with its outdated software platform.

Though on balance some people are really happy with the note and thats fine.

Thats the beauty of choice !

12. ap3604, Apr 4, 2012
  13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Another "iPhone 5 screen size" thread... this time with pictures! Giggity.

I welcome a larger screen.

14. mrmarts macrumors 65816

a 4 inch screen would be enough for me a five inch screen is meh ok but anything bigger than get a iPad

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you say so. I haven't had that experience. Are you possibly going off something you read on the internet?

Edit: Oops, didn't notice who I was replying to.

Typical ap3604 hyperbole above.

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I would love a 4-4.3" iPhone. 5" gets a bit massive IMO.

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

The old iPhone design is starting to look pretty tired. Especially when great phones like this are coming out.

[​IMG]

18. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Says the guy who claims to have owned 7 Android phones. You crack me up dude

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Would not mind the iPhone growing a "little" bit but they could make the screen a bit bigger with the same size device. I suspect that is what Apple will do.:eek:

20. drkryn macrumors member

Now why don't you go ahead and show a picture of someone using a 4.3" phone being held up to their face. Or were you just going to keep posting pictures of people holding tablets to try and prove your ridiculous point?

21. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Nope, personal experience. Had the Note for 4 days before i took it back for the reasons I mentioned above.

22. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

That's opinion. It's like saying I don't like the new BMW's; the new Ford's are better looking. To some, maybe? Others, no...

I happen to think most of the HTC phones look the same, and their design really hasn't changed much either. I don't like the bumps on the back of them either.

23. shurcooL thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if the next iPhone comes out looking exactly like the 4S, with the same 3.5" screen, how many of you would be happy that "it didn't change"?

I wouldn't be. Apple usually only changes things when they can make it better. An unchanged design (after so long) is boring and it means even Apple couldn't find a new approach that works better than the old.

Also, I think people who have/want to get an iPad are happy with 3.5" iPhone, but those who prefer to have just a single iOS device want a slightly larger screen.

24. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

LOL. That looks like every other HTC phone thats come out the last 2 years :rolleyes: At least Apple has only made a few iPhones that look the same, HTC has made what? 734 Android phones the last 2 years? Aside from the few wide ones, they all basically look the same

[​IMG]

25. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I hope they keep it at 3.5 960X640. It's a phone. When I needed a larger multi-touch display, I grab my iPad.