Potential iPhone 6 Design Flaw During Calls (speaker vibration problem)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tazdevl, Sep 20, 2014.

1. tazdevl, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

tazdevl macrumors member

Picked up a VZW 128GB iPhone 6 yesterday. I think Apple made the phone so thin the EAR speaker resonates against the back of the case and the vibrations can be felt in the fingers when holding it next to your ear during calls. It is especially noticeable in loud environments where consequently the volume is cranked up or with male voices or hold music that has a bit of bass.

If you put your fingers where the Apple logo is, the vibrations can be felt during a call. Not annoying at all during a 2 hour long conference call. Noticed it with and without case.

Yes...yes... I'm "holding it wrong".

6 is so thin I don't think there's room for unattached or improperly attached components to rattle around and I doubt there's much free space where it would make an air chamber that resonates based on pics from ifixit teardowns.

Wondering if Apple skimped on costs and didn't add a shot of sound deadening material to the case or I may have a defective ear speaker. It sounds fine though with no distortion. We shall see what tech support says.

Other thought is this is something they missed entirely in ergonomic testing like the iPhone 4 antenna issue. Curious if anyone else has noticed this?

Btw they need to make the number/symbol key on the left side of the keyboard in ios8 bigger. Every lefty I know is inadvertently hitting the emojii/keyboard switch button when typing. Complete PITA.

EDIT God forbid someone would use the word gate in this forum or speak ill of a recently released product. Title changed for the divas.

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

To be honest I couldn't imagine holding my phone to my ear for 2 hours and would just use the headphones anyway.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

No using the word gate on these forums. -100 forum points for you.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The fact that you decided to call your issue a "gate" is something I find enraging.

If you have a problem, call it a problem. It's not a gate.

5. tazdevl thread starter macrumors member

To each their own. However, that isn't the issue.

The question is, if you have an iPhone 6, have you felt vibrations during calls from the speaker resonating against the back of the case while holding it to your ear?

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I haven't held a phone to my ear since they invented wired headsets and consequently bluetooth.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Never mind that bumping a thread is against the forum rules but the fact that you think you need to bump your thread after 25 minutes makes you a special kind of * bag.

8. tazdevl thread starter macrumors member

Zzz thank you forum police. I believe personal attacks are also against forum rules. :)

Obviously no one that has an iPhone 6 has commented on this thread.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

It wasn't s personal attach. I put a star there so you could fill it in with whatever you wanted to.

10. tazdevl thread starter macrumors member

Oh. Thanks *sshat :)!

----------

Again. To each their own. However, that isn't the issue and yes you are a highly enlightened individual. Was on call in car w Bluetooth and didn't have headset handy when turned car off.

The question still is, if you have an iPhone 6, have you felt vibrations during calls from the speaker resonating against the back of the case while holding it to your ear?