Potential Mac Pro Updates before Nehalem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GuyCalledPete, Jul 1, 2008.

1. GuyCalledPete macrumors member

People keep saying they don't expect a mac pro update until Nehalem is available, but I cannot see them letting the technology age a full 12 months without an update. People are already holding back on purchases because they don't want to buy a machine with a 6-month old spec.

Here are changes I imagine could be possible in the shorter term:
    - Default config to become Two Quad-core Xeons
    - Base memory to increase to 4Gb (does anyone REALLY buy a Mac Pro and run it with only 2Gb?!)
    - 10,000rpm SATA system disk and/or flash drive options
    - GeForce GTX 280 graphics option
    - Blu-ray capability
    - Onboard hardware RAID without having to buy a separate card

Lots of possibilities there, I can't see Apple waiting until Nehalem to upgrade the Mac Pro, I'm happy to sit on my hands for a couple of months, but if there is no Mac Pro update by then, I'll give up waiting, and get another PC instead...

-- Pete.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please, please, please search.

No. There won't be any updates before Nehalem. Can't see them letting it go 12 months? Try 518 days. They don't care.

No GeForce 280. It already is two quad-core by default. No Blu-ray. I'd like a RAM increase, but that'll come with Nehalem.

3. GuyCalledPete thread starter macrumors member

I have read the other posts, people just say "No, there are no new chips until Nehalem", but the CPU/chipset is not the only thing that can be upgraded, and people just seem to be saying "no, no, no updates" without considering what smaller updates might be possible, which is what I am trying to do here.

-- Pete.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple has never done an update to their pro desktops without upping processors. That's why.

5. GuyCalledPete thread starter macrumors member

Right, and Apple will never break a habit like that, even if it means losing sales on their high-end workstations. I see.

Sorry, not buying it, I think either they anticipate releasing their Nehalem machines in Q4 this year (which will mean Intel need to hit their deadlines and need to give Apple perferential treatment to get the chipset early), or they accept they won't get Nehalem out until 2009, in which case they need to make some other changes to update the spec, or lose sales.

People buying high-end workstations aren't usually prepared to buy machines with 6+ month old specs.

-- Pete.

6. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Sorry Pete, but you are being unrealistic now. Search the forum and see that the last update was after 518 as it was mentioned before!!! Secondly, there is no need for update as the machine offers the best that is available for the price tag. Thirdly, Apple simply doesn't update MP that often. They might add a blue ray option later but I doubt they will do anything else. Base model will stay the same till Nehalem. If you bothered with the forum search then you would understand why. Until then, either buy a MP now or go to PC side as this trolling is useless and not helpful or even productive.
    Thanks

7. GuyCalledPete thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, not intentionally trolling here...I am willing to wait a little while, but ideally I need to buy a machine this tax year (ends 31st December 2008 here). If there's no Mac Pro update before then, I will have to go the PC route, I want to make the transition to Mac, but I don't want to buy a machine with an older spec - especially when the price doesn't change to reflect the age of the spec. Technology moves fast, and either the spec needs to keep up, or the price does.

I really can't understand why Apple don't budge on either the price or the spec, their machines become less and less competitive with age until an update, and with Apple now really making a big impact on the desktop (almost everyone I know will consider a Mac when buying a new computer, most find that an iMac meets their needs), they really need to maintain the competitive edge.

I'm just frustrated at the slow updates, sure, it's great for someone who buys a machine just after it has been updated, but it sucks for those of us 6 months down the line looking at old kit for the same price. This cannot be good for business?

-- Pete.

8. Gloor macrumors 6502a

You really make me laugh Pete. What older spec are you talking about?? Mac Pro has the latest processors, it is workstation after all. Find me another workstation that is cheaper or better for the same price and then we can talk. Until then, there is nothing to upgrade to.

9. aibo macrumors 6502

co-signed

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Dated and witnessed.

11. oban14 macrumors 6502a

He's got a point, you know. The time to buy any Apple product is the week it comes out. Are you saying that the price of all the components in the Mac Pro haven't gone down in price over the past 6 months?

I think a silent upgrade is possible, but unlikely. Perhaps blu ray, a bump up to 3.0 procs as the standard and maybe an extra gig or two of ram at the same price point.

And to answer Pete's questions, yes, Apple is all too happy to let aged hardware rot on the shelves while people wait or go the PC route. They've been doing it for years, and the majority of their customers are more than happy to take the abuse.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're right, but it would have to be two. They don't make 1.5GB RAM sticks.

13. Gloor macrumors 6502a

You won't find cheaper workstation with the same specs or better. Apple does give a good deal now. It wasn't the same before when we were waiting ridiculously for the update (that was overpriced) the now it is really fair.

Only update I can see is some added options, nothing else.

14. ZeelessOne macrumors member

Any updates before Nehalem will just be additional options, not entirely new models. It already has the latest processors and chipset. Maybe additional graphics cards (one is coming out next week). Maybe Blu-Ray. But these are just options, not a whole new machine.

15. oban14 macrumors 6502a

It's a good deal now. It was a better deal 6 months ago. And in another 6 months, the deal will be mediocre at best (just like with the previous Mac Pros).

Apple is in between a bit of a rock and a hard place - upgrade too often, and you'll irk anyone who bought one in the past 4 months. Do it too rarely, and people resent paying 2007 prices for 2006 technology.

I think we're all in agreement that there won't be any significant upgrades until Nehalem comes out, but I wouldn't be shocked by blu ray, higher default procs, etc.

16. indiochano macrumors regular

mark my words... nehalem mac pros will be out Feb 09

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why, when there's a perfectly good Stevenote in January?

I still say WWDC, anyway. Apple isn't ready to drop FB-DIMMs yet.

18. indiochano macrumors regular

i meant the date they would make em available at the store.

why would apple not consider dropping fb-dimms?

19. debreu macrumors newbie

MacRumors recently (yesterday) updated it's buyers recommendation for the Mac Pro, see here. It looks like if you need the processing power of a MP now, then take the plunge. However, this is true all the time with computing. The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of current MP owners are really happy with their workstations, this group includes owners of dual G5 workstations, which are at least 5 years old. Yet another thing to keep in mind is that with the development of software to take advantage of all those cores in the MP for everyday computing, not just specialized technical and video software, is yet to come. I'd imagine with Snow Leopard, every owner of a MP will get a significant boost in realized processing power for all kinds of applications that choose to take advantage of the new programming tools (OpenCL and Grand Central). Still another thing is graphics cards. If you do technical of video work, OpenCL will allow you to perform this work on a graphics card, which is easily upgradable. In short, I think it's not too hard to convince yourself to take the plunge now and get a MP if you need the processing power.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

See, that's the only problem that I have with the Buyer's Guide. It lists the addition of the Octore option on the original Mac Pro as an update. It wasn't. The original Mac Pro went 518 days without an update, and the Guide needs to reflect that. Just stack the last bar on top of the second-to-last one to get an idea of the update time for the Nehalem Mac Pro.

Coincidentally, 518 days from the Penryn release falls within WWDC 2009. We'll see Nehalem Mac Pros with Beckton then.