Potential New Mac User - Paralyzed By Choice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by diego898, Jul 30, 2009.

1. diego898 macrumors newbie

Hello,

My laptop died not to long ago thanks to a thunderstorm after three solid years of service. I am thinking about getting my first mac, more specifically a 15'' Macbook pro. However, I've been reading threads from here that say "If you can wait...wait." The new processors are going to BLOW these out of the water? I don't want to go through an entire semester laptop-less but I don't want to buy my laptop and 6 months later MUCH better hardware comes out for the same price (though this is usually the trend with technology, apparently the jump from this generation to the new ones will be severe?)

If anyone could me some advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Diego

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The next model will always "blow" the current ones away. The next updates are in February at the earliest, this is one of those times, if you can wait, wait. One solution might be to pick up a used one considering how low you can find them right now and then sell it later on.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

With Macs, you get less choices than with PCs, so what's the problem?;)

New laptops will come in February-March 2010. If you can wait that long, wait, otherwise buy now.

Computers are ALWAYS faster, better, and cheaper tomorrow.

5. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

This is totally true. You can ALWAYS wait for the next 'latest and greatest' and 99.9% of the time it will be better.

If you need / can afford one now go for it. It seems like the next revision will be around Q1 2010. Only when the next revision is imminent do you really want to wait unless you don't NEED the machine!

Hope that helps :cool:

Let us know what you decide / go for and welcome to the world of Mac.

If you need advice on which specs to go for if you do go for the current line up / a refurb then we will be here, ready and waiting :D

6. analytical44 macrumors regular

Even if you wait, are you really trying to buy a rev A model? Personally, i would reccomend buying now and then selling once the 2nd gen models of the next line of MBP's come out (probably late 2010, early 2011).

7. Griff110 macrumors member

I was in a similar position myself, but decided a 13" macbook pro would do all I need, so went for it, can't say Im disappointed it's a fantastic bit of kit, runs photoshop cs3 very well, my advice is if it will do all you need it to go for it,

Tom

8. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I second that. Any possible updates are months away so if you need a computer now, buy it now.

When the new models eventually come out, they won't make the old/current ones any worse, and despite any "will blow away" -hype, they will just be like new models have always been: a bit better.

9. diego898 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. AMessy macrumors member

I would have made the same choice, besides the current MBP's were just updated. You don't have to worry about new ones being released the day after you purchase.

11. 1ne macrumors regular

Congrats!!! I never wait for anything.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on what you use your machine for. The new models that just came out really don't do the lowest common denominator tasks any better than the Macbook Pro revision As (music, internet, watching movies, word processing). You only notice the difference in the higher-end tasks. Arrandale isn't going to be any different in this regard.

13. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

if you need it, buy it. it won't be as much of a speed bump as people think. not without a price increase anyway. get a 15" and max out the ram (3rd party of course.)