Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Remember when the Google G1 was coming out and everyone thought it was going to be god's cellphone?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah right...............

Why did we do away with the down vote when threads like this clearly scream for one...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
but after a splashy introduction the company withdrew the product from the market entirely, sending out free versions to those that had placed pre-orders but otherwise shelving it.

Time to pre-order expected to fail products from Google so I can get it free. :D

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I wish something would come out that would let me mirror android and Apple devices. I have a jailbroke tv 2 with XBMC and other goodies installed, that thing is awesome

Internaut

macrumors 65816
Well one thing is true: the smart TV is now so ubiquitous, Apple would find this a difficult space to enter directly. The Apple TV urgently needs evolving, such that it is the nice interface to the smart TV you've just bought. It won't be a big inroad though; Apple missed missed its chance. My Samsung Smart TV isn't exactly polished (it's awfully clunky), but it's keenly priced and has a great screen.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/18/4343794/googles-potential-nexus-q-successor-revealed-in-fcc-filing

Intrigued on what Google is going to bring back to the table. Apple has had years to capitalize by leading with Apple TV but they've let the competition pass them by being characteristically stagnant with this line.

Who exactly has passed Apple by? :rolleyes: It certainly wasn't Google--both Google TV and the Nexus Q were utter failures and I don't believe any of the other competitors in the market (Roku, WD TV, etc) have come anywhere close to the Apple TV in sales numbers.

I wish someone else would offer up a bit of competition so that Apple would be pushed to improve the Apple TV. It's a great device (our house has 4) and we use it quite a lot but it could be so much more.

durant35

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
The only thing that will kill Apple is Apple. Since Jobs passed, it seems like they have been more willing to do things they said they never would, like make a larger iPhone and smaller iPad. The only people crying for 5 inch iPhones and things like widgets, power controls and a bunch of other iOS tweaks are tech sites and tech nerds. Most the general public couldn't care less about these things, those who do move on to Android or Windows phones.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Apple has their hands in several markets, and I'm sure that will increase with time.

It would be pretty uh.... not possible.... to bring down Apple with one product.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I wish something would come out that would let me mirror android and Apple devices. I have a jailbroke tv 2 with XBMC and other goodies installed, that thing is awesome

Roku 3. iTunes library on your Mac will work with it via Plex, you can mirror from any Android device with the Juice app, and there is something like 700 channels available. Not to mention it displays video in 1080p HD, unlike the ATV. I still have 2 ATV2's and an ATV3 sitting in a closet collecting dust. Need to sell them, cause I will never use them again.

----------

Who exactly has passed Apple by? :rolleyes: It certainly wasn't Google--both Google TV and the Nexus Q were utter failures and I don't believe any of the other competitors in the market (Roku, WD TV, etc) have come anywhere close to the Apple TV in sales numbers.

I wish someone else would offer up a bit of competition so that Apple would be pushed to improve the Apple TV. It's a great device (our house has 4) and we use it quite a lot but it could be so much more.

Really? Have you looked at a Roku or the sales figures? A company as big as Apple, with an extensive ecosystem and marketing budget has sold 10 million "total" ATV's since it was originally released, as of April this year.
Roku has sold 5 million "total" devices. Half of that number was last year alone! Not bad for a small company with little marketing budget. By 2014, their sales will be more than Apples at current sell through numbers.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Roku 3. iTunes library on your Mac will work with it via Plex, you can mirror from any Android device with the Juice app, and there is something like 700 channels available. Not to mention it displays video in 1080p HD, unlike the ATV. I still have 2 ATV2's and an ATV3 sitting in a closet collecting dust. Need to sell them, cause I will never use them again.

----------

Mirror everything or just send pics and videos? Can XBMC be installed? Im not worried about streaming itunes though

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Really? Have you looked at a Roku or the sales figures? A company as big as Apple, with an extensive ecosystem and marketing budget has sold 10 million "total" ATV's since it was originally released, as of April this year.
Roku has sold 5 million "total" devices. Half of that number was last year alone! Not bad for a small company with little marketing budget. By 2014, their sales will be more than Apples at current sell through numbers.

Roku is certainly the most significant competitor to the Apple TV but I think you're giving them far too much credit. First, you're 10 million for the Apple TV is low--that's just the second and third gen sales. Second, Apple sold roughly 6 million 3rd gen units between March and Dec of 2012.

So yes, Roku sales have grown, but so has the Apple TV, rather significantly and I don't think Roku will be anywhere near Apple in 2014--far too many things going against it (as you mentioned--the Apple ecosystem, marketing).

That being said, the Roku 3 looks quite slick and capable. The biggest criticisms I've read are the cheap remote and being less than ideal for streaming your own media but since PLEX is an available channel, I don't see why this is such a problem (I guess if you have iTunes purchased video?)--used PLEX for years on love it. Think I'm going to give the Roku 3 a test drive. :cool:

----------

Not to mention it displays video in 1080p HD, unlike the ATV.

The Apple TV can play 1080p video as well.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Roku is certainly the most significant competitor to the Apple TV but I think you're giving them far too much credit. First, you're 10 million for the Apple TV is low--that's just the second and third gen sales. Second, Apple sold roughly 6 million 3rd gen units between March and Dec of 2012.

So yes, Roku sales have grown, but so has the Apple TV, rather significantly and I don't think Roku will be anywhere near Apple in 2014--far too many things going against it (as you mentioned--the Apple ecosystem, marketing).

That being said, the Roku 3 looks quite slick and capable. The biggest criticisms I've read are the cheap remote and being less than ideal for streaming your own media but since PLEX is an available channel, I don't see why this is such a problem (I guess if you have iTunes purchased video?)--used PLEX for years on love it. Think I'm going to give the Roku 3 a test drive. :cool:

----------

The Apple TV can play 1080p video as well.

I know Apple TV can receive a 1080p stream, but it can't send 1080p to the TV. ATV can only transmit 720p. Unless that changed recently?

As for ATV sales figures, I can only go by what Apple reported:

From Tim Cook, "Apple TV has about 10 million active units and is generating over 4 billion dollars in annual revenue.

At Apple's 2013/Q1 earnings report on January 23, Tim Cook said that Apple sold two million units in the December quarter vs 1.4 million a year ago in the same quarter."

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I know Apple TV can receive a 1080p stream, but it can't send 1080p to the TV. ATV can only transmit 720p. Unless that changed recently?

The AppleTV 3 has always been able to send a 1080p signal to the TV. That is what offically differs it from its predecessor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.