Potential overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macalway, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Macalway macrumors 68020

Just a heads up

Just noticed that on the New 13" there is no source of ventilation upwards at the screen hinge. On my 15" MBPr 2013 there's considerable ventilation even when placed on a bed or soft surface, as air flow is not blocked. This new model looks like all air flow will be blocked if you lay it on a soft surface like a bed. Just the way the screen is attached.

I imagine it's that way with the 15". Not a big deal, just would be nice not to have to use something rigid under it at all times.

2. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

The Vents are underneath and just at the sides. They don't appear to be blocked unless something goes up in between the screen and the hinge.

3. Macalway, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

Macalway thread starter macrumors 68020

It's not really an issue, just a heads up. It's something that always bugged me about some laptops. My 2013 MBP will not overheat if just left on a blanket, as ventilation will not be blocked. That's why I mentioned it.

Like I said, it's not really an issue. Lots of people use them in bed, so it's worth mentioning.

note: Speaking of overheating, I was thinking of getting the 2.9GHZ quad upgrade. I wonder if these thing are going to get toasty. Not that it matters; fan noise DOES matter though.

Well, its going to be an interesting next couple of months :D