potential owner needs to decide between an ipad and ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thesixthman88, Oct 27, 2010.

1. thesixthman88 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am a physical therapy student who is really interested in either getting an Ipad or an ipod touch. If i were to get the ipad, it will be during the next update. But what i wanted to know was what you guys think the difference in functionality is for both products and which would be most useful. I already have a macbook, which i do my work on, but i wanted to use my potential product for more recreational purposes while occasionally doing some work. what do you guys think is more useful?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

The iPad is more "useful" in that you can use it for study materials and anything else you can get to pdf format. I have a friend who's a contractor and doesn't feel very comfortable with computers in general. After about 1/2 hour with my iPad he decided to get one for himself and keeps copies of job quotes and product brochures on it as well as emailing, using the GPS and surfing the web on his way to/from jobs (with someone else driving, of course).

The iPod Touch can do a lot of what the iPad does, but the above scenario identifies some things that it can't do as well as the iPad:

Serve as a reader/document storage device.
    GPS
    Email on the go
    Web surfing

Just because these features can work on a Touch doesn't mean it's a pleasant experience or anywhere near as useful.

3. Corsair.Noir macrumors member

Corsair.Noir

Answer Two questions:

Is the bigger screen worth the price difference?

Do I need it to fit in my pocket?

I dig the iPad a lot but despite what anyone else says it really is just a beautifully giant ipod touch.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have both. The iPad is much, much more useful than the Touch. My Touch now serves as pretty much nothing more than a source for music when I mow or drive. And don't wait for the 2nd gen - buy now and enjoy.

5. stonemonkey1968 macrumors newbie

I have an iPod touch and I am thinking about getting an iPad. iPod touch is good but is a little on the small side for productivity and watching films. I commute at least 4 hrs a day and have tried leaving my mac book at home and to just use my iPod touch, only to grab my macbook the next day and leave the touch at home. So IMHO I would go iPad, just don't moan that you cant get it in your pocket :D

What's even more frustrating though is do I wait for the second gen iPad or go for broke and just buy one anyway. They always say wait for the second gen but I am a little impatient :eek:

Regards

Andy

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i don't have an iPod Touch but i do have an iPhone4 and iv'e found that since i got my iPad my iPhone has pretty much been relegated to just being a normal phone, with some quick web browsing if i'm waiting for a friend or somewhere at work where i couldn't get away with having my iPad out. I use my iPad almost exclusively for note taking at college other than for diagrams as i havent' found a good app yet to do that. Also with my jailbroken iPhone i've got MyWi so i can tether my iPad whilst i'm out so i could save myself some money by not going the 3G route.\

Edit: i'd also say to anyone thinking about getting one just get it now if you can instead of waiting for the 2nd gen unless there's a specific feature you really want that is pretty much a dead cert for the 2nd gen, there is such a thing as selling the 1st gen for not much less than you paid for it.

7. 7thMac macrumors 6502

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

"xoox's" Post concerning iPad and carpal tunnel syndrome is pure BS.

9. xoox macrumors newbie

LOL I'm sorry. It was meant to be sarcastic. I reread it again and it indeed looks alarmist..

What I meant was iPad is not a device that you conveniently hold all along to carry out a task as simple as even watching a video.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Do you have a phone?
    Do you have an iPod?
    What 'recreation' do you want to do?
    Do you want something highly portable, or more home use?

I have an iPhone and an iPad. I've almost stopped viewing videos and running apps on my iPhone, since the iPad apps are so much better and the video is a much better experience. It's also light enough to carry (almost) everywhere if I'm carrying a bag.

Having said that, I still use my phone a lot to listen to music, especially if I don't want to carry anything when I leave the house.

11. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Having both, the iPad gets far more use for me. I do use it to also watch video, and browsing the web is so much nicer, games are awesome in HD (iPad versions of games.) All around, if I had to choose between the two I'd get the iPad in a heartbeat. The iPod Touch is a nifty little gadget, but the iPad is a useful tool.

I don't consider it a large iTouch by any means, use one for a week and you'll better understand. The expanded menus, the way everything works on an iPad with the larger screen takes it from a gadget to a useful tool. Get the 3G version and you can make calls anywhere (unlike an iPod Touch.)

Well, unless you get the Verizon iPad, it apparently has the ability to work as a router for up to 5 devices (spoke with a Verizon Rep today), guess AT&T doesn't allow sharing of your data plan. So with with the Verizon version of the iPad, you could connect your iPod Touch to the internet through the iPad.

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

They're entirely separate devices in practice; the iPad cannot be a portable music player, and the iPod cannot act as a comfortable computing experience like the iPad can. Pick which category of device you want more.

13. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

As a former iPod Touch user and a current iPad user, the only time I miss iPod Touch is when I go to the super market or the shopping mall as I used to create shopping list on my iPod Touch before I go shopping. The iPad is just too big for that purpose. ;)

14. mazdatree macrumors newbie

An iPad is more useful, but an iPod Touch is a bit more portable (ok, a whole lot more portable - unless you can stick an iPad into your pockets). It depends on the OP what he wants for this new iDevice also since he already has a Macbook - if he wants to be computerless for days on end (web surfing, movie watching, music listening, occasional work with iWork) then the iPad is good for him. However, if he wants to have something portable and there with him (music listening, movie watching, occasional web surfing) away from the computer (or at the computer) then an iPod Touch will suffice.

Or just get one now, and one later like a few of us :D

15. thesixthman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

i should've specified that i will probably get a wifi only ipad, im too poor to afford the 3g lol but when i say recreational i mean watching movies, occasional games, web browsing, things people do on their downtime if they had an ipad

now that people are mentioning it, i am interested in its notetaking capabilities and how useful it is in those terms, that and maybe looking up body structures with an anatomy app would be perfect for what im doing

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The pocket question will be the main deciding factor. And yes, it really is a big iTouch. Although one with GPS and 3G if you opt for that model.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOl the iPAd it is NOT a big iTouch, not even close. the App formatting, Reading area, and ways to use it (due to the size) make its a totally different device.

to the OP, go to the App store and get a feeling for the Apps that you see yourself using if you can live with the pocket version, go for the touch, if you are looking for a bit more of a ereader, netbook type of usage, the iPad all the way.

18. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I have used the touch for the last three generations and LOVED it. But hated writing notes on it with the tiny keyboard. Being a writer, I wanted something just like the Touch but bigger and still yet smaller than my MBP for jaunts to the bookstore or what not. My husband thinks I am crazy and that I don't need all of these, but each one serves distinct purposes and the combination works out very well for me. Plus, I have chronic short term memory loss and this way I always have a dynamic to do list and notes to prompt me!

By the way, the husband who laughed when I got the Touch and then laughed harder at the MPB and iPad? He bought a Touch for himself...fell in love....then custom ordered a rockin' iMac the next week.:D