Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Originally posted by globalstar
ok. but I have also a Duron 900 with 192MB SDRAM and Radeon 7000 32MB DDR plus a 30G Maxtor HDD. Will the PB be slower than that as well?

That would be a dissappointment.

Plus about Altivec - doesn't Aqua use it as well?

i think it will be as fast or more likely a bit faster than that machine. as for Aqua using AltiVec i'm not sure of the details. i'm pretty sure though that the entire OS/GUI is indeed optimised for AltiVec/G4/G5.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
ive had my 12pb for about 4 months now.
i have no real complaints about it.
some people wine about heat issues, but i have no problems with heat build up.
its great for portability and i find no problems with the 12 inch screen.
the speed is not an issue to me either.
it performs as well as i would expect.
its no powerhouse. but its not a turtle either.

the price is much better now after the price drops too!

globalstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
thanks!

thank again for the advice!
It really helped me.

I think the PB12" is for me.
Gorgeous looks, light, CDR, airport extreme, bluetooth. decent speed (once I get more money to upgrade the memory), gorgous looks, OSX, price! and the iPod for 69.-

I will not get time to purchase it before I have settled in (sometime between the 17th to 24th of August). Maybe we will have new books out then. If the 15" AlBook is in my price range....

But the 12" is great. I hope that the price wont go up in the next few weeks! BTW what do you think - would we see a price increase if the 12" is updated (as the update would be quite minor anyway... - if there is no L3 cache)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.