Potential Porting problem with ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yourmamaissofat, Jul 2, 2008.

1. yourmamaissofat macrumors newbie

I have a wireless phone number from California, but am now located in Chicago. When I go to the AT&T website, and see if my number is eligible, it says no if I use the Chicago zip, but it says it is eligible if i use the LA zip. Do you think it will be a problem porting it in chicago? Has anyone tried hooking up a number in a different state?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would give AT&T customer support a call so you can get a definitive answer to a good question.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I ported my number from NJ to CA when I get the original iPhone. Just a warning, it can get very hairy to do.

What ended up working for me, was I had to activate my phone as a NJ phone. Since I screwed up first time and activated it in CA, I had to do a "relocation" of the phone back to NJ. That required a new SIM.

After I activated it for NJ, I ported my number over and waited till the next month after first billing cycle. Then, I changed my address and made sure they didn't change the number.

It also took me 3 days to get it ported over properly. The best thing I can suggest is to activate it in your old state first, port your number ... then change the address.

Porting numbers across states is possible but a REAL pain in the ass.

My number is still a NJ number and I will need to migrate it over to the 3G iPhone. Worse then that, I need to migrate my girlfriends phone from t-mobile and keep the number (Same NJ vs CA issue)

Its going to be a nightmare.

4. gandalf18 macrumors member

Agreed. It is possible (my friends did it for the original iPhone) and AT&T will work with you to make it happen.