Potential rMBP 15 Speaker Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by borisiii, Jun 22, 2013.

1. borisiii macrumors 6502

My launch model rMBP 15 speakers have always distorted/crackled slightly when playing high or low frequencies with the volume above about 12/16. I have read about the hissing/buzzing problems, but can't find any accounts of this problem.

I just assumed this was normal, as the quality and volume was still very impressive for a laptop, however I was using a friend's identical 2012 model recently and noticed the speakers seem to be much better on his. I am thinking of taking it to the genius bar, but before I do, I was wondering if anyone else is able to test something for me...

Please try setting the volume to full and then get your computer to make the Funk system sound (the default noise when the low battery alert pops up) – to make it play you can go to System Preferences –> Sound, and click Funk from the sound effects tab. When you play it at full volume, do you experience any clicking/popping/crackling/distortion? Or does it sound just as clear as at half volume?

Mine pops and distorts noticeably above 14/16, but my friend's is crystal clear. I'm trying to get an idea as to whether this would actually be deemed a fault, or whether the genius bar will just tell me it's normal/within an acceptable range.

Has anyone else come across this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The question is does the audio sound distorted when playing other sounds not at the maximum volume.

I noticed a tiny bit of distortion when setting my speakers to max and hitting listening to the funk sound.

I've never noticed any other distortion or problems but then I don't have the volume set to maximum

3. borisiii thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, other sounds do distort, and there is also a slight resonance of the speakers with higher pitched sounds. As a result, I basically treat 10 or 12 out of 16 as full volume, because anything above that is likely to sound nasty.

Here is a recording of me playing Funk at half and then full volume, recorded through the internal mic – you can clearly hear the popping/distorting sound at the louder level. The distortion of the louder 'volume change' clicks are present but the recording exaggerates them.

http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/44442666/file.html