Potential Set Up

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bjpom, Jul 25, 2011.

1. bjpom macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I graduated from college the other day and have decided to update my Mac set-up to reflect my needs post-grad.

Currently I am using a Top Spec Early 2008 24in iMac (3.06ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB Hardrive). I would like my next machine to be more portable due to the nature of my work, but also be able to act as a desktop in a home set-up.

My main uses are pretty basic- internet browsing, maintaining my website using Rapidweaver, basic image editing, encoding movies using Handbrake.

I have a big iTunes Library (180GB+) and it's essential that I have access to this at all times.

I am considering an Ultimate 13in MBA, due its power and portability.

After importing my iTunes Library (179.64GB currently) does anyone know (roughly) how much space I would have left from the 256GB (I understand I don't actually 256GB due to formatting/recovery partition/OS etc)?

I would then only put on essential Applications/Data and leave the rest for my 'Home' set up.

For the home set-up I am considering the following:

*B+W Zeppelin + Airport Express OR B+W Zeppelin Air (Airport Express or Airplay?)
    *1TB External Hard Drive - as slim/fast as possible. Thunderbolt? (This would house all my other Applications/Data)

And of course a Speck SeeThru (Satin) Case- either black or clear.

If you guys have any opinions or feedback on this I would love to hear them!

Take Care,
    Ben

2. macphipsi macrumors newbie

why are you going to stop using the iMac? It seems to me that it still has life in it.

I would continue using it and then purchase a MBA for the road. That way you have a power horse at home and a super quick road warrior.

Also, I don't think any mac needs a case. they are durable and well built. Any damage that a case would "protect" the mac from, like dropping it, is still going to damage the computer. Skip the case.

3. T-bag Guest

Agreed on the MBA part, but not regarding the case. Scratches does not compliment a mac laptop well, and 1 is enough to irritate you. It also decreases the resell value a lot. Nuff said.