Potential startup/login item problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Esther, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Esther macrumors newbie

Hi. I need some help because I’m a moron technologically (which is why I’ve always used Apple products—they’re so streamlined and user-friendly). I have an iBook g4 (Mac OSX 10.4) and somehow I’ve really screwed it up. Here’s how the problem goes:
    1. I turn it on and login. It’s is slow as molasses in January.
    2. However, Finder, etc. all come up fine. All of my software is up to date and I have not physically damaged it yet (though I want to).
    3. When I try to do something on it though (like go online or open a word doc), it will work for about 30 seconds (for real, I timed it once), and then it will get slower and slower until the application and the desktop stop working (that weird thing that looks like a spinning rainbow beachball will replace the mouse and then everything starts spazzing out) and I have to force shutdown. If I try to use multiple applications or it System Update come up, this will come faster.
    4. I want to cry and/or through my iBook across the room.
    It’s really important that I fix it, because either it works… or I lose my music collection and have to use my PC. I’ve asked some people what the problem might be, but either they use Windows, are more tech-impaired than me, or are just jerks who find this amusing. I think that it may have something to do (based on the knowledge that has been imparted on me via google) with the startup/login items; however, I don’t even know wtf they are, much less how to disable them.
    So, could someone could tell me what’s wrong and give me very, very easy, step by step instructions on how to fix it? I’d be forever grateful.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That sounds to me like a failing hard drive unfortunately. The beachball of death appearing more and more is typically the cue. You probably want to get an external hard drive to back your system up on

3. Esther thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, one (I think) VERY important thing:

All the problems go away when I start up in "safe mode." It runs fast and does everything that it can possibly do in safe mode (like open Word, etc. but obviously no internet or audio input/output).

So, does starting up in safe mode prevent problems in a bad hard drive, or is it preventing other potential problems that may be plauging my iBook?