Potential Storage Issue - Solutions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedlegsFan, May 20, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

I am close to pulling the trigger on my first Mac... most likely a Macbook Pro 13inch. Of course money is an issue so I am looking at either the current 256GB/16GB version, or the upcoming new version. I took inventory today of my PC and it currently has 760GB of data. I can delete a good number of it, but I know my pictures and music collection take up a good portion, maybe 70-80gigs.

So I will most likely be spending $1,500 give or take which is a lot of money. I am struggling to think I might have to invest in an external hard drive to dump some data off to. What do you all do with these storage constraints? What's your solutions?

2. AppleFan22 macrumors regular

My solution was to invest in more iCloud storage. For 100GB a month, costing £2.49 a month, you can't go wrong. Very handy to keep all my photos accessible wherever I am. Surprisingly, Apple is either cheaper than, or equally priced to other competitors such as Google and Microsoft... However, internet access isn't always available, so physical storage is always a great idea... I haven't got one myself, but there are many SDXC cards available that sit in the slot permanently as extra storage. Another idea is to buy the baseline storage and just buy a different disk from another supplier. I'd recommend Samsung, who are well famed for their SSDs (bear in mind that buying a completely new disk may cost more than the ones from Apple, do your research first!)... Or you could buy the Samsung T1, a handy little flash drive that weighs roughly the same, if not less than, an iPhone 6.

All in all, I'd suggest the T1. Especially since it's so pocket-friendly. Samsung have announced an updated version, I have no idea if it's been released yet, but there only seemed to be an increase in weight and cost, nothing more.

3. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recommendations. Since I posted this I have cleared away a lot of clutter and gotten my current computer down to 490GB. Still well above 256GB but I'm getting there.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Get the 256/8GB RAM version and put the rest on a NAS solution.

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

Can you classify how much space everything is taking? That might help you determine if you really need this data in day to day usage hand how much can be either deleted or put on some external storage.

Another item is to clear you Downloads folder. I did that a couple of weeks ago and regained 40 GBytes.

6. UndercoverDotNetGuy macrumors newbie

As AFEPPL suggested just go and get 256/8GB model.
    If a NAS is going to be a little overkill just get an external drive or two and backup your content over there.
    Remember to have at least two backup copies on two separate devices.

For example my TimeMachine backup goes to an USB3 external drive to have hourly versioning of files and full backup of my laptop SSD.

All other content that I just need to have without versioning is backed up to separate external USB3 hdd. Just a regular off the shelf HDD in a cheap USB enclosure.

If monthly payments are not an issue then iCloud/GoogeDrive/OneDrive are great options for simple cloud backup.

If you need more hassle free approach for a backup without the messy cables and clunky external disks you can always use SpiderOak or CrashPlan backup service. Pricing is reasonable and both support great privacy with good versioning control. Downside is that they are both at US and upload speeds from Europe tend to be a little too slow for my taste.

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    External drives are the key here. I use a Samsung T1 1 TB SSD external drive along with my rMBP's 512 GB SSD and this works a treat. i also use other external drives for regular backups, of course. The T1 serves as a supplementary drive to my rMBP so that stuff that I still need access to but not all the time is on there rather than on my main SSD. Extra documents and pictures in particular do well on the external SSD. This gives me plenty of space on my main SSD for the things I do use daily. When I do backups I back up not only the computer's SSD but also the Samsung T1 as well, since I use it pretty actively and things change in there, unlike on a drive specifically meant for backups. Samsung has recently come out with the newer T3 external SSD, which is available in 2 TB, 1 TB, 500 GB and smaller sizes.

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Why would you want a portable solution with lots of things hanging off it?
    Kinda kills the portability..

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

RedlegsFan -

First, you should hold out until the new MacBook Pros are introduced next month.
    Then you can make a decision -- either buy one of the new ones, or pick up a "just-discontinued" model, which should be available at "closeout" prices.

Secondly, be aware that Apple overcharges for their internal SSD "blade drives". Whether you want to pay for the additional storage space is up to you.

You can probably do fine with 256gb.

What I would suggest for -additional space- :
    Pick up an external SSD from either Samsung or Sandisk.
    You might look into something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZTRY532?tag=delt-20

Then, do some thinking and "rationalize" what you'll keep on the internal drive (for frequent access) vis-a-vis what can be shuffled off to the external drive for INfrequent access.

10. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Also it's worth waiting to discover what changes will be made around the storage system.

11. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

So not the retina model, just asking to be 100% sure.
    If it is not cMBP there is a few options.
    You can upgrade the HHD to a SSD yourself, safes a lot of money then buy a enclosure for the HHD to use it as a external.
    There is also the option to remove the SuperDrive and insert an extra SSD or HHD into that slot.

If you are going for the rMBP then I would upgrade the SSD through Apple.
    I see that this will mean that you have to take a bigger model, but I think it will be a good choice.
    Have no experience upgrading SSD in the rMBP so can't really say much about it.

BUT wait and see until after WWDC if you do not need the MBP right now

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I don't keep things plugged into my machine; the only time I plug in an external drive is when I am going to do a backup or when I want to retrieve something from that supplemental SSD. With Apple's peripherals being BT (wireless) and my printer being wireless, no need to have wires poking out of every port. The only thing that does get plugged in regularly is of course the MagSafe power supply!

13. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have several "half" cards that I use in the SD card slot.

Both PNY (StorEDGE) and Transcend (JetDrive) make cards with fixed storage sizes. Current models are 64 and 128GB.

TheMiniDrive and Nifty make cards with removable MicroSD cards and currently support sizes up to 200GB.I have several brands, as well.

The StorEDGE has a small lip that sticks out just enough to allow you to grab it to eject the drive. The other versions sit completely flush with the rMPB, and have little slots where you can "hook" them with the provided tool to eject them.

theMiniDrive
    Nifty Mini Drive
    PNY StorEDGE
    Transcend JetDrive

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

NAS is still the answer.....