Potential switcher: cheapest way to add Windows XP for old apps

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluefunkybassma, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bluefunkybassma macrumors newbie

Hi

I am a potential switcher to the bright side :)

There are certain PC apps that I would particularly like to retain, such as Serif Pageplus 11 and Microsoft Money.

I understand that I can either use Bootcamp to make an XP partition, or use something like Parallels to run both OSes simultaneously.

My question is, what is the cheapest way to get XP in the UK. My old laptop did not come with an XP install disc, and I want therefore to obtain a legit copy at the cheapest possible price.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Steve

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

There is always eBay, but you'd better make sure you know what your getting.

The cheapest other than eBay would be an OEM copy. Which you can get from a site like http://www.overclockers.co.uk for around £50.

3. bluefunkybassma thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great thanks - I think the second option sounds best :)

4. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

I bought mine a couple years ago on EBay. No problems. Worked great... err... As well as any Windows product can be expected, anyways. :p

5. bluefunkybassma thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I please just definitely confirm that there will be no issues with an OEM version?

Also, do you need to activte Windows in the same way as on a PC, so that the copy of Windows you have is "tied" to your particular set of hardware? If not, then maybe could I borrow a friend's install disc?

Advice gratefully appreciated.

6. bluefunkybassma thread starter macrumors newbie

Stop Press

STOP PRESS!

Just figured out I can use Parallels Transporter over firewire to clone my old PC, and therefore not have to buy a copy of Windows at all!

How cool is that!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Steve