potential touch buyer, capacity question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by reggiep, Sep 13, 2008.

1. reggiep macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm considering either buying the 8gb touch or a comparably priced hdd player. However, I have never had a flash player before and have a little over 26gb of music and a good quantity of videos. I was wondering what people's experiences were with having less storage space than files, and having to swap them in and out. thanks in advance

(p.s. this is my first post in the forums so if I'm breaking any etiquette or missed a similar discussion in my search of the boards don't hesitate to let me know)

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

First, it's a flash drive... not HDD. Secondly, it's pretty simple to change files on your iPod, just uncheck the files you don't want on it and recheck the songs you want on it and resync.

3. reggiep thread starter macrumors newbie

I am well aware of both the fact that the touch is a flash drive, as well as syncing procedure as a former ipod owner. My question was your oppinion on how having less capacity (in this particular case much less) than music files affected your experiences, and whether having to sync files in and out presented a hassle.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've got almost 50GB of audio and video combined and agonized over whether to go with the 32GB model, but I'm never away from my computer for any extended periods of time so the 16GB model would suffice. No problems here swapping music and video out as I go.

5. digitalprty macrumors newbie

I think he knew it was a flash drive, he was just debating on paying the same amount for an hdd (i.e. classic)

And to answer your question, I used to have a 40gig ipod photo and was reluctant on getting my 16gig ipod touch because I had about 8,000 songs, which wouldn't all fit on the touch. But if you think about it, you really don't need all your songs on you. All that does is cause you to scroll through that much more music.

I still have 8,000 of songs on my computer, but only keep about 2,000 on my touch. I never looked back. Most of them just took up space on the photo. The amount of gigs on an ipod is, for the most part, overrated imho. Remember, the first generation ipod only had a couple of gigs and everyone thought that was astronomical.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

If you already have an MP3 player you can simulate this, just don't put anything more on it than the capacity of the iPod Touch you would buy.

7. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

My main MP3 player right now is 80gb, though it isn't nearly full yet (since I'm not really in the same boat as you with the number of files) I enjoy having the ability to put whatever on whenever I want and not having to worry about taking things on and off... However, I also find that a lot of the music I put on there is stuff I just skip through a lot of the time and for some reason I never seem to take those songs off.

So, I've been wanting to get an iPod for a while now and I've always like the touch but thought it was not really worth the money, the shuffle is definitely not for me, the nano was okay, but didn't really offer anything my current players don't and the classic was nothing special and didn't offer any more than my main player. So, the iPod touch was still the one I wanted most, mainly because it is so different from what I have already. The more I looked into it and especially once apps were added, I realized it really would be worth it for me. However, the capacity was a bit of an issue for me as well. Originally I was only going to do 8gb, but since then I've decided that 16gb would give me more room to put extras on there, I wanted to have extra room for apps mainly.

So, what I've basically decided is that I'm going to go through my music collection before synching my iPod touch for the first time and really select the songs I know I like. I'm also going to add the apps I want available to me at all times. I figure for the most part this may go a little over 8gb or so, just an estimate. With the remaining space, that will give me room to add new songs and apps, put any songs on there I just want for certain ocassions (i.e. hosting a party or something) or when I need extra for a trip. This would also allow room for any videos I would want/need. For me personally, videos are something I only use on long trips, so I don't really need them in there all the time, but leave enough room that I can always add them.

For me, it is totally worth it to get the touch even with the lack of space because of everything else it does.

To sum it all up I would go with a harddrive player if you want to have a lot of space and don't want to worry about filling it up every time you add a song and also have the convenience of throwing whatever you want on there. Go with the iPod touch if you want a really cool and sleek player that has a ton of features and things you can do with it, but not quite as much space so you would need to spend more time selecting what to put on it.

The touch seems to be an awesome player and if you want to have all the extra features it offers, you can't go wrong. If, however, having a ton of songs on it is more important, than it may not be the best choice!

Good luck!

8. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

I am looking at a 16gb or 32gb touch, I only have around 13GB on my current iPod but as it is a 4th Gen with no video playback this could easily expand quickly. Let alone adding apps.

My suggestion to you is maybe spend some time to figure out how much of what you have you really must have on the device at all times. Your probably don't need all the tv shows or movies, but there are some you want there all the time as well they are the ones you would most likely watch when needing to pass time. Also, if you have multiple seasons ov a tv show, do you need all seasons on at one time?

If you do this and find you are close to moving up to the next size then you might find the larger model more appropriate. If you are close to maxing out the 32GB model then maybe you need to wait for a 64GB model to arrive :)

9. insicor macrumors newbie

I just bought a 16 gig Touch and that should be more than enough. Even when I had an 8 gig Samsung P2 I found that I only listened to maybe 100 or so songs.

10. M. Poirot macrumors member

I have an 8GB touch and have nearly 700 of my favourite songs on it out of over 4000 in my library. It lets me take my best songs around leaving other great tracks for when I get back to the house.
    If you use smart playlists and choose to sync certain ones, then you can have a great set of tunes with you all the time.
    Don't forget you can have your podcasts, films, music videos, TV shows, photos, calendars, contacts etc with you too. You can fit about 2000 songs on the 8GB touch so you should be able to find at least one track you like :D

11. mpshay macrumors 6502

I've had my 16 GB touch for quite a while. I think my itunes collection is about 100GB (lots of video), but I've never regretted getting the touch instead of the classic. Even when I travel for business, I never run out of stuff to watch/listen to. When I get back home it's easy to load some new stuff. All of the extra features more than make up for the reduced capacity

12. reggiep thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everybody for the helpful responses, I'm a little worried since most people claimed to have the 16gb anyways (meaning that bit of extra storage was worth 70$ to them) but you guys have been extremely helpful. (the advice telling me to try underfilling my old mp3 player was interesting, but there was no way you could have known that my old iaudio x5 is recently deceased)