Potential Updated iMac w/ ML release question...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by drmountaindeww, Jun 12, 2012.

  1. drmountaindeww macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2012
    A lot of us are suspecting an updated iMac at the release of ML this summer. But MacRumors just wrote this article recently. Based off this information, do you think there will even be a silent update this summer or fall? Or do you just think Apple will wait for this so-called refresh in probably 2013?
  2. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular


    May 23, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    I don't know what to believe anymore, lol.

    I'm giving it until Mountain Lion. If there's no 2012 iMac by then, I'm going to just buy a 2011 model...
  3. NunoBerny macrumors regular


    Feb 12, 2012
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Same here.
    I'll wait until ML comes out. It's not that long, but it sucks not knowing for sure to plan ahead...

    But, if after that nothing happens, I'm still undecided. I'll either buy what's available or look elsewhere.
  4. Bendrix macrumors member

    May 9, 2012
    I doubt Apple's gonna release an updated iMac soon. They lowered the price of a RAM upgrade by $100 and maybe made some other small price reductions on the 2011 models. Why would they do that and then release new ones? They probably figure any of the available parts upgrades currently available aren't enough of a change and would not be justifiable business wise. The relatively small profit they would make would not be worth it to them.

    Walk into an Apple store and see how many people are checking out the iMacs or MacPros. Everybody's fiddling with laptops, iTouches and iPads, and buying bright fuchsia cases for their phones. These customers want to have the silver laptops with the Apple logos like they see on TV and they want to accessorize with Beats headphones and other gimmicky stuff. During yesterday's keynote they were mostly talking about updates to iOS, like asking Siri for sports stats. I read that desktops are only 22% of their sales. It's probably their current strategy to invest in that other 75-78% of products.

    I think the only thing coming down the pipeline is a radically different lineup of desktops next year, probably one that's integrated with a merged version of iOS and OS X for all their stuff, including TV. Their acquisitions and patents seem to indicate they still have some interest in business or pro users. Their little MacPro update was probably their way of saying hang in there, we still care about the desktop market. If they refreshed before all the new stuff comes out next year, they would just end up with a huge backstock of stuff that will be outdated. All the competing operating systems and platforms seem to be working on building an "ecosystem" where everything - computers, TVs, phones, tablets, etc. - is merged.
  5. themcfly macrumors regular

    Jul 20, 2011
    Today's benchmarks confirm that MBP benchmarks leaked on may are indeed real. So we can hope the same for the iMac ones surfaced the same day.

    I think (and i hope) the Ivy Bridge iMacs exist and will be launched in summer, probably with ML. Then there will be time to focus on iPhone 5, iPods, maybe a new generation iPad in january, to come back again in spring/summer with new iMacs finally with retina display. I think holding on to these machines for another 300 days (making it 700) isn't what apple is aiming to do, considering the new work/school season starting and the nice sales they had last 2 quarters with the current iMacs.

    Or maybe i'm just telling myself what i want to hear...
  6. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

    Apr 30, 2012
    That RAM is 1333Mhz, the leaked benchmarks of the supposedly 2012 iMacs had 1600Mhz. :)

    Edit: My point is: Perhaps they are using WWDC publicity + lowered BTO prices to clear out stock?
  7. devilbond macrumors member


    Mar 8, 2010
    I don't know where you're from, but 22% of $39,200,000,000 (their revenue from the last three months alone) is a positive s***tonne of money.
  8. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

    Apr 26, 2012
  9. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2012
    Imola (BO) - Italy
    Waiting for ML too, then if anything happens I'll just get a new Mbp with retina display ... now the question is "when exactly Mountain Lion will be released ???"
  10. Tumej macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2012
    can someone tell me what "ML" means, i know it happens in this summer, but what ML stands for?
  11. tendicott macrumors newbie

    Sep 28, 2011
    ML refers to Mountain Lion the new version of OS X coming out this summer.
  12. JackalUK macrumors newbie

    Jun 13, 2012
  13. forty2j macrumors 68030


    Jul 11, 2008
    Funny. Their claim that the 660M is twice as fast as the 650M is laughable. The 650M only lags the 660M by 10%, and both are outperformed by the 6970m in today's iMacs. I find 660M for 21" and 675M-680M for 27" to be far more plausible.
  14. russofris macrumors regular

    Mar 20, 2012
    My feeling was that the high end will feature the 680m (or 7970m) and come in in 2GB and 4GB flavors.

  15. Razorhog macrumors 65816


    Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, didn't know it was capable of up to 4GB. That will be the way I go if it's available. I know I'm dreaming, but an SLI option would rock.
  16. jiggins26 macrumors newbie

    Jun 14, 2012
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Not enough of a change? 'Current parts' bring Ivy Bridge and native USB 3.0 support to the iMac. USB is by far the most used I/O available, and this upgrade would attract many potential buyers. RAM speed will also be upgraded from 1333MHz to 1600MHz. These two upgrades are quite significant. CPU, GPU, and graphics cards will also be upgraded.

    While the 2012 iMac will most likely NOT see a retina display, I believe the reasons stated above are enough for Apple to release a new iMac with ML in July. I know I will be upgrading with or without a retina display.
  17. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2011
    Well I've been waiting for at least 6 months to upgrade my 2008 iMac 24" now, so a month couldn't hurt. I've noticed how sluggish it has become on the windows bootcamp side at least, mac side is fine. Strange huh.....

    If theres no new update by the end of the year I will have to get the 2011 with 3.4ghz i7, better than what I've got now for sure.

    Surely they would tie in the release with the debut of Mountain Lion to showcase it's new features on a new computer wouldn't they?
  18. forty2j macrumors 68030


    Jul 11, 2008
    Been doing a lot of reading about that card. Apparently there's no resolution presently available that can get it to max out 2GB, and 4GB is just marketing/sucker money. Kepler is extremely memory efficient and so doesn't need tons of extra buffer space etc.

Share This Page