Resolved Potential Upgrade Path

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macman45, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Macman45, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've been really happy with my 27" iMac, and had no plans to upgrade for at least another year. I've been offered pretty much what I paid for it by a guy I know. See the attached specs of my current machine.

My only upgrade from here as I see it would be to a Pro...With the same 27" screen, a minimum of 16GB RAM, and a faster CPU..Graphics are also important, with a 2GB card essential.

I've never owned a Pro, but I'm thinking that if I sell my iMac now (and get virtually all my cash back) It could be the right time.

So...Question to Pro owners: What spec would you recommend? I do video and music editing, Photo work using Aperture, Logic Pro etc. I do play the odd game, but that's not really all that much of an issue since 2GB dedicated GPU would eat everything the way my iMac does now.

What kind of money would I expect to part with here...I need a Minimum 1TB hdd or possibly 2 if the budget ran to it.

Attached Files:

2. Ericks89 macrumors newbie

I don't own a pro but I'd wait for the new lineup if they continue the pro series.

I believe all pros have the same maximum settings so basically get the cheapest pro and upgrade from there, unlike PCs the Mac equivalent for graphics cards are more expensive and that doesn't mean squat as they're just as good as the PC version.

Wait for apple to support the LGA 2011 socket than upgrade, it's pointless to get a pro with outdated intel hardware.

3. Macman45 thread starter macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Makes sense, as I said I wasn't planning an upgrade this year, it was just a tempting offer to get all my cash back on this one...It does it's job fine, and is top end, so I guess my buddy is out of luck!:)