Potential video card issues, anyone else experiencing this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hkim1983, Jul 28, 2014.

1. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

First my specs:

2013 13" Air
    Intel HD Graphics 5000

I don't think anything else is relevant, but if someone is curious, I'll be happy to oblige.

So from the get-go, I've been having some issues with my Air (although I'm not sure how related they are). Occasionally, when I wake my laptop from sleep, it won't wake up and I'm forced to reboot it. I've been having this problem in Mountain Lion and in Mavericks though, so I don't think it's related to the OS.

Another problem I've been having is that when I have it connected to an external monitor, occasionally, when I switch the inputs from DVI (which is what I have it connected by) to HDMI and back, it presents a "snowy" screen, similar to what you would get from a tv without reception. This is remedied by just switching it back to HDMI and then to DVI though.

This last problem is the one I experienced just today and is the one I am most concerned about. When I woke my Air up from sleep, I was greeted by a white screen with lines of different color going down it from top to bottom. My computer was completely unresponsive, and I was forced to reboot. What bothers me is that this could be a sign of the video card acting up...

I haven't brought this into my Apple store yet because they happen infrequently and it's pretty difficult for me to reproduce them (although waking from sleep seems to be a common issue). Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any idea what could be causing my problems and how I could fix them? Thanks.

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If it is still under warranty, bring it in to your local Apple store ASAP. Take a picture of the glitched out screen if possible. If you cannot reproduce it, just bring it into the Apple store and tell them about the colored lines. It could be a graphics card issue, and it will be very expensive if it is not under warranty.

Matt

3. hkim1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's still under warranty. I'll be starting graduate school in the Fall, and I would rather lose access to my computer now then later, so I'll bring it in and discuss my issues with them. Thanks for the advice.