Potential virus? Urgent help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ziphur, Jul 14, 2009.

1. ziphur macrumors member

ziphur

My macbook pro is acting very odd and I have just found out that my other half has read an email via my laptop on her hotmail account that was a scam- it read" Access to your online account has been suspended (term : violation of use) to confirm your security details click here, failure to do this may result in access to your savings being blocked). She has alerted her bank but did not save the email and it doesn't appear to be in her trash or anywhere.

I need some kind of virus detection freeware that will help to detect this- please help what do you think has happened? Is it a coincidence? I want to search my computer, its acting really weird slow when I type its taking ages and my saved tabs in bookmarks have all opened up with no saved passwords etc.

Please help.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

You don't have a virus. This is a coincidence. A slow computer does not mean there is a "virus." She got a scam email, pure and simple. If OS X (let alone Windows) could somehow contract a "virus" by simply reading an email, we'd be in a world of trouble.

Do you mean your passwords aren't autofilling anymore?

As per Consultant
    THERE ARE NO VIRUSES on OSX.

Since there are no viruses, anti-virus cannot determine what is a virus at this time, and is a waste of CPU cycles.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-exp...r-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/0...-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...malware-crown/

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You're being paranoid. There is nothing wrong, I swear.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Install iAntivirus, its a good solution if you are really worried, really there aren't any threats for a mac and if your computer starts to run slow a reboot normally does the trick to get it up and running again.

6. ziphur thread starter macrumors member

ziphur

Thanks all, yes probably being a bit paranoid :eek: was hacked a few years ago and have always been a bit suspicious..

Have to say this forum is great you guys all reply so quick with useful advice -cheers all.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah i just joined a few months ago and think its great and everyone is really helpful with questions I have. I try to do the same for other peoples questions as much as possible because I really appreciate the help i get and I want to give back a little.

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

More people need to follow this.

ziphur, apologies if I came off a bit strong; by all means, run iAntivirus (I would myself if I had an LIntel [see what I did right there?]), but I'm extremely confident you're fine.

As for Autofill (which I'm assuming is what you're talking about for your passwords), I find it either a) doesn't always work (with certain sites) and/or b), it intentionally DOESN'T remember certain password. I've even created some keychains for certain forms, to no avail (unfortunately).

As for the slow system, run Onyx (a free app), and Verify Disk in Disk Utility (Apps>Utilities). Verify Disk will slow down your computer for several minutes, but nothing is frozen. :)

9. ziphur thread starter macrumors member

ziphur

No not at all, you have all really helped. I ran iantivirus and it yielded no probs, it seems fine now but was acting a bit weird last night. Cheers zip:)