Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I was just thinking - I usually set backlight twice a day. In the morning/day, I increase it because there's lots of ambient light around, and then in the evening I put it back down when it gets darker. I suppose many other users have similar usage pattern for this, so I was wondering if there's a software that would let you pre-program several backlight settings to 'fire' during several times of the day?

major7

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Porto, Portugal
Automatic Backlight adjustment would be great....i use brightness control everyday as well....on the top during the day and one single bar during the night. any feedback on f.lux and the MBA?

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I was just thinking - I usually set backlight twice a day. In the morning/day, I increase it because there's lots of ambient light around, and then in the evening I put it back down when it gets darker. I suppose many other users have similar usage pattern for this, so I was wondering if there's a software that would let you pre-program several backlight settings to 'fire' during several times of the day?

The lack of an ambient light sensor is quite annoying, especially if one came from a previous notebook that did have it.

With that being said, you must be joking. You would rather spend a half hour tinkering with settings of when to have the backlight automatically adjust, as opposed to just pressing the buttons for 2 seconds each time you'd like to adjust it? I just don't understand.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
The ambient sensor sucked in my opinion. Always getting brighter and darker randomly based on the angle you were sitting and the position of your hands? i'm not sure how anyone could handle that.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
The ambient sensor sucked in my opinion. Always getting brighter and darker randomly based on the angle you were sitting and the position of your hands? i'm not sure how anyone could handle that.

This. The ambient sensor was so friggin' annoying.

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
The lack of an ambient light sensor is quite annoying, especially if one came from a previous notebook that did have it.

With that being said, you must be joking. You would rather spend a half hour tinkering with settings of when to have the backlight automatically adjust, as opposed to just pressing the buttons for 2 seconds each time you'd like to adjust it? I just don't understand.
Well, when set once, which would probably take a whole of one minute if not less, I would probably not touch it again. It's not the laziness, it's just that I often forget to do it right away, and only remember to drop the brightness when my eyes start hurting from too much light during the night.

This is what you need. Works great and totally automatic.
http://stereopsis.com/flux/
Thanks. This shows how easy it would be to implement something like this. F.lux only seem to be adjusting the color temperature though, not the backlight, at least not on my MBA.

Last edited:

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It takes much less than a minute. Maybe a second or two at most. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

There's no reason to be so argumentative when someone doesn't like exactly how Apple implements a feature. Just because you believe Apple can do no wrong doesn't mean everyone needs to do things the Apple way.

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
It takes much less than a minute. Maybe a second or two at most. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

No, I meant it would take me no more than one minute to set up the kind of software I described above, and then I wouldn't have to touch it again. I was replying to someone who was saying that it would take me half an hour to set up something like this. The f.lux software already almost does what I want, only it seems to adjust color temperature instead of backlight level. Took me maybe 20 second to set it up and try it out.

The biggest problem to me really is that I don't always remember to adjust the backlight immediately, and only realize I should do so when my eyes start being irritated.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
There's no reason to be so argumentative when someone doesn't like exactly how Apple implements a feature. Just because you believe Apple can do no wrong doesn't mean everyone needs to do things the Apple way.

How is that argumentative? It literally does take a few seconds at most. That's not refuting anyone's statement or claims. It's just fact unless you have horrible arthritis, which in case, I retract my statement.

I'm actually irked by the lack of a non-backlit keyboard and the removal of the ambient light sensor in the MBA. The off-center placement of the mic is also very odd. But it's not something that I'm going to bother finding an app and configuring it for. But that's me, not you or the OP.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
No, I meant it would take me no more than one minute to set up the kind of software I described above, and then I wouldn't have to touch it again. I was replying to someone who was saying that it would take me half an hour to set up something like this. The f.lux software already almost does what I want, only it seems to adjust color temperature instead of backlight level. Took me maybe 20 second to set it up and try it out.

The biggest problem to me really is that I don't always remember to adjust the backlight immediately, and only realize I should do so when my eyes start being irritated.

Yea, that makes sense. I was thinking that it's a bit permanent. For example, one day you happen to use your MBA in a different light setting. Then the brightness setting may not be what you want. That's where the ambient light sensor is quite useful, it's dynamic. I'm glad you found a solution though, I had no idea that app even existed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.