Potentially Dumb Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFW122083, Oct 7, 2011.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I was not eligible for an upgrade from my i4, so I forked out the $650 for the 4s on At&t. Paying the unsubsidized price does not lock me into another two year contract right?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I don't think you need to be forking over that much money for anything if you don't understand what you're actually doing and the complications it can cause.

But to answer your question, no. You are not in a contract.

3. Type X macrumors regular

You are NOT in a contract, honestly you didn't make a bad move.
    Essentially what you did was pay for the device AND the cancellation fee rolled into one shot AND you have the freedom to go to different carriers if you'd like..

Don't let anyone knock your decision because when/if the 5 drops you'll be recouping your investment & it will be a wash.

4. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,

I didn't think I was, which is actually why I paid full price. I know it's a lot of money, but I can recoup a good chunk by selling my current phone. I didn't want to use an early upgrade on our other line because I don't want to extend any contracts. Looking forward to LTE with a choice of three carriers next year :)

----------

Exactly my thinking, just wanted some reassurance I wasn't in for another two years!

5. MovieCutter, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Pretty sure you ARE in a contract for 2 years. According my cart, paying the $650 includes a 2 year contract.

Attached Files:

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

....troll?

7. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Nope.

8. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

It didn't mention anything about extending my contract at all when going through the process on Apples site.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Look at the asterisk in the pic I just posted.

----------

No, just stating the facts jack

10. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

MovieCutter - looks like you are being quoted the early upgrade pricing, $200 off full price. That isn't the same as being quoted for full price.

11. Gavernty macrumors 6502

you are assuming he purchased a 64gb model at a discounted price which would be $650 like he said.... but he probably bought a 16gb model at full retail price

12. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bingo, sorry should have specified.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Exactly. You still sign up for 2 years with the addition $250 cost for upgrading early. However, I'm on the phone with AT&T retentions now. They are giving me a $50 credit, as well as $10 unlimited texting (half what my rate was) for the rest of my time with AT&T, which....given that I'm doing a new 2 year contract with them is $240 less than I would have paid over the next 2 years and beyond.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize you were paying full-blown non-subbed cost. More power to ya.

14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

*face palm*

That's what we've been talking about while you went around telling everybody that he signed a contract.

----------

That's what he did.

No no, you said UNSUBSIDIZED, which means off contract.

People just can't read. You clarified just fine.

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Good for you

16. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

you are locking your self into 2 year contract... but the upgrade shoudnt move.

17. wratran macrumors regular

at $650..
    you should have waited till November for the Apple Unlocked version...lot more useful for traveling and more choices with carrier...
    maybe you can still return it within the 30 days windows

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

....now I don't know whether this is true or not, but it kind of goes against being ON contract or OFF contract.

Off contract means you aren't binded for survice... right? And you can leave whenever you want. You just continue to pay for the service but you can either upgrade or cancel at any time.

Know how when you can upgrade your plan doesn't just end or change? Same here. You can do whatever, but you don't HAVE to stay. Your upgrade is available to use whenever you want or not at all.

19. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't travel out of the county so that isn't a worry for me. The article on 9to5mac proves that I got the phone for no extra commitment. I am still under my original 2 year contract, but it didn't restart another 2 years.

20. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Didn't AT&T at one point try to claim that any newly activated iPhone (even if purchased used) began a two-year contract?

21. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Actually, if I had the extra cash I would totally by the unlocked version for me and my wife. That way, we could sell it for pretty close to the original price and upgrade to the unlocked version of the new phone every year, never having to worry about whether I get the subsidized price or not.

Even if the unlocked phone sells for a few hundred dollars less than you paid upfront, it's no different than the upgrade price you would pay anyway, but you're not extending any contracts, which means the carrier can't push you around.

22. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I just want to keep my options open. I'll be moving to Atlanta from York Pa next year and want to be able to choose the best carrier down there.

23. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You restarted your contract for another 2 years if you bought the 64GB (you didn't specify in your original post, $650 can apply to several versions of the iPhone 4S depending on pricing). Call AT&T and verify. You paid the extra $250 to get the phone a month earlier than you would have had you waited to pay the fully discounted price. The extra $250 is still discounted, just not as much as the full discount.

24. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

My original post did say $650 unsubsidized, meaning there was no discount. I thought it would make sense that it had to be the 16gb version. Anyhow I got my answer, thanks everyone!