Potentially faulty RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IMJ, Jun 23, 2011.

1. IMJ macrumors newbie

I've just purchased a 27" i7 iMac along with an extra 8GB of RAM from Crucial. Everything works perfectly in OS X, but I have been having a few issues with Windows 7 64-bit on Bootcamp.

To begin with, the Windows installation process was failing during the "Expanding Files" phase - after some Google searching I found that that a potential fix was to remove extra RAM. I removed the extra 8GB and then Windows installed properly.

I then re-inserted the RAM and to begin with everything was fine in Windows - downloaded and installed all the updates, installed Chrome, web browsing okay. However, I then tried installing two completely different pieces of software (one from a CD, one from a downloaded file, both of which I've used before) and both installations failed with a Cyclic Redundancy Check error - which generally points to faulty RAM.

I ran the extended Apple Hardware Test from the OS X install disc and no problems were found. And as I say, OS X has been perfectly fine, the only problems have been with Windows.

Before I remove the extra RAM and send it back to Crucial, I'd like to check: Could the arrangement of RAM modules in the 4 slots make any difference to Windows? At the moment I have the original 2GB sticks in the first two slots and the 4GB sticks in the second slots. If I reversed them, could this make any difference, or is the RAM just faulty?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the long post!

2. majkom macrumors 65816

Hi, not sure this will help you, but: i have bought imac 21,5 with 2x2 gigs end extended by another 2x2 gigs - i had several os X crashes, so i sent back those 2 modules i bought and get new ones, but situation repeated... solution proposed by my reseller - we have changed all 4 modules (original from apple and those bought) for Iceberg modules - and it seems it works flawlessly now...