Potentially Sending MBP in for Repairs! Need Advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iDuel, Jun 26, 2012.

1. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I'm currently in the United States for the time being and before I came I noticed that my audio in/out port on my MBP 13" early 2011 is not working correctly. When plugging in a pair of earbuds, the right bud's sound is faded while the left one is perfectly normal. The earbuds themselves are fine, as they sound normal when plugged into my iPad. I have set up a Genius Bar appointment for this Thursday. (Jul. 28)

Here are my questions:

1) Is this going to be the type of repair where it will need to be sent out to a repair centre? I'm thinking this is an issue with my logic board.

2) What should I do to ensure that my data is safe before I go to the Genius Bar and they potentially send it out? Erase the drive? I'm still not sure if they are sending it out, so I don't want to erase the drive if this is going to be a simple in store repair.

3) Has anyone ever had any experience with sending their Macs to Apple's repair centers?

I would really appreciate if anyone could address my concerns:)

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Get/borrow an external drive and use Time Machine to backup your system (you can go to Best Buy to use one and return it free in 30 days :) )

Sending to repair centers is usually a really quick process that should take 10 days max.

Might just be the port on the logic board therefore they could probably replace that port...also if it's the logic board they won't need to do anything with your hard drive and data.

3. iDuel thread starter macrumors 6502a

iDuel

The port can be replaced in-store?

I have an external drive, and i don't mind doing the copy/paste method, as I really don't have anything mission critical, its just personal stuff that I would rather not have some stranger see. I also have iCloud/Mail/iChat/iTunes accounts which are signed in, and I don't want anyone messing around with them.

Thank you for your response!:) If anyone else has anything to add, please do so.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

The port might be replaceable in store I'm not sure...but it's likely the port can be replaced period.

As for the user accounts, you would have to discuss those details with a Genius to see their policy on privacy.

5. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I say 5 days turnaround if they replace your Logic Board or might be less than that if it is, something minor.