Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
So, as long as my iPhone has an internet connection (WiFi or data), and it’s connected to my watch via Bluetooth, I should get all my iPhone notifications on my Watch, even if the Watch isn’t connected to WiFi (it’s a GPS only version)?

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
So, as long as my iPhone has an internet connection (WiFi or data), and it’s connected to my watch via Bluetooth, I should get all my iPhone notifications on my Watch, even if the Watch isn’t connected to WiFi (it’s a GPS only version)?
Also, if your phone has connected to wifi at your mom's house previously, for instance, and you don't have the phone with you one day, the watch will remember the wifi connection at your mom's house and get connected when you visit your mom next time. And the watch will still receive messages and email without your phone even if the phone is powered off.
But the phone calls will not come through.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Also, if your phone has connected to wifi at your mom's house previously, for instance, and you don't have the phone with you one day, the watch will remember the wifi connection at your mom's house and get connected when you visit your mom next time. And the watch will still receive messages and email without your phone even if the phone is powered off.

So few know about this.
This also goes for places like
Apple stores
Restaurants
Stores
Previously used Wi-Fi locations.

But does it work for personal hotspots?

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal

is there a special setting i need to check for this? just tested it by turning off my phone and didn't get the test message from hubby's phone on my watch.....

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
is there a special setting i need to check for this? just tested it by turning off my phone and didn't get the test message from hubby's phone on my watch.....
Is your hubby on iPhone?
Does your watch have Wi-Fi turned on?

TScottTX

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
DFW TX

Your phone needs to be connected to the internet - WiFi or Cellular in order to relay to your watch. Can be anywhere, different State, just needs to be on and connected.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Your phone needs to be connected to the internet - WiFi or Cellular in order to relay to your watch. Can be anywhere, different State, just needs to be on and connected.
Not entirely true.
Only if it is a text message or call that uses the phone number. If it is message from another apple device user it will come thru with your phone turned off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.