Potholes and Cars

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickspohn, Feb 27, 2009.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So last night I went to Chicago. Me and 3 others are in the car. We were headed back to the interstate, but about a mile before the exit, we feel and hear this HUGE thump. It was a giant pothole that couldn't miss because A) It had been raining for hours and was covered in water and B) there was a car on the side of me so I couldn't avoid it.

So right after it happens, all the people in the car are like WTF. I notice it is very hard to keep the car straight, as it always wants to go to the right. So anyways, we get out on the interstate, and about 3 minutes later, all I can feel is insane thumping. My tired had pretty much exploded. So i quickly got off to the side and to where it was safe, and had to replace the tire. I never thought I would have to do something like that. It would of been fun without the coldness and the rain. IDOT came. The guy just pointed the flashlight and gave a little advice. I didn't expect him to help me though.

Has this happened to anyone and have they filed a claim? In Chicago? They made a big deal out of this last year, as I remember hearing about it.

http://www.chicityclerk.com/claims_vehicle_damage.php

the iPhone picture has the geo tag in it
    [​IMG]

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Looks like your rim was probably damaged driving that far with the tire basically gone?

3. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah the rim has scuffs but no dents. When I felt the tire explode, I probably drove on it for no more than 15 seconds because I had to slow down and cross 3 lanes.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have had this happen before, actually. I was riding on the cheap steel rims from the factory, and my front right tire hit a pothole and bent the rim.

I was able to have the rim fixed, but since I had to replace 3 (yes, 3) of these rims over the previous 2 years due to leaks at weld points, about a month later I just broke down and bought four new cast aluminum rims for the car.

Unfortunately, I never thought to seek any kind of compensation from the city. Wish I had thought of it at the time.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Happened to me in San Francisco, California, USA, and I filed a claim with CalTrans and the city and county of San Francisco, and basically was denied the $950 repair costs on a Porsche 911. DOT was no help as well. Nearly all the claims were denied on the basis "that I was not able to show definitive damage occurred at the location" or words to that effect...:mad:

6. tdevers macrumors regular

It's pretty common, especially with a tire that has a lower side profile. Replace the tire, have the rim checked out to make sure it wasn't damaged and get the car aligned ASAP. If the suspension has been altered you'll chew off the new tire in no time.

7. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

It sucks, happened to me on my Acura... But that's why my next car will be a truck (also cause I need one).

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

You must get this checked, by a garage (i.e. don't just look it over and decide yourself).

When you drive for some time, your tires warm up and become malleable. If your rim is damaged, it'll cut right though. Alternatively, if the rim is only bent slightly (much harder to see without spinning the wheel and looking 'down' it), it'll put a lot more load on that one point where it's bent - another pothole or hard corner and boom, there goes another tyre (hopefully that doesn't happen on a corner).

Seriously, tell the garage what happened and get it checked. Your wheels are the only thing holding the petrol-propelled ton of metal carrying your body to the road.

AppleMatt