Pottermore... WTF?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not sure I understand it completely either. I'm just glad that Rowling has decided to release the Harry Potter series as ebooks.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

$$$

I don't buy the "filling the void in my life" from Rowling.

4. 03jcrhr macrumors member

5. singlestick macrumors regular

Life and books are funny things. Conan Doyle tried to kill off Sherlock Holmes because he wanted to write more serious books. Readers wouldn't have it. Some even wore black armbands to mourn Holmes, as though he was a real person. Ultimately, Doyle had to bring Holmes back.

Rowling is still very young for a writer, and yet Potter is huge, and obviously her readers would be happy for more. And Rowling herself does not appear to be done with Harry and his friends.

As for the money, Rowling is the first person in the known universe to earn a Billion dollars from writing (and movies, etc). It would be very hard to squander a billion bucks, and earning more is just gravy on top of gravy.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good and thoughtful post; anyway, I agree with you. Likewise, I doubt that money is the main motivating factor here, JKR is still young, more than financially secure, and doubtless still has plenty of material about the world of Harry Potter. Moreover, there will be a huge demand for anything she chooses to put on paper, or online about HP.

7. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I completely do. If she were to stretch it out and make more books, etc., I would most definitely be purchasing them. For some reason Harry Potter is just something that I got really attached to and having it end just sucks. Before you always had something to look forward to every year or so and now it's just... nothing. I felt the same way with LOST.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Did u see the screenshots that were leaked. Basicly it's the books animated new content is always added, either by users and Joe herself. You play through the books and gain house points. But its not a strait game (as u said not fully explained). I'll be waiting to be a beta tester I'll see if I can snag one of the million spots.

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

How do you sign up for that? In any event, I'm POSITIVE over a million people would have signed up already.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I suspect that you are right. Worse, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I have been a bit tempted myself.....

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Harry Potter was like the biggest part of my childhood. When it's all over in a few weeks, I'm not sure how I'll feel. Harry Potter helped me overcome my dyslexia. I'll always be grateful to it for that.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Harry Potter was terrific; it got youngsters reading, telling a thrilling tale set in a wonderfully realised imaginative world while yet remaining true to many of the classic tropes of children's literature. Indeed, it made children's stories fashionable again. Granted, I wasn't a child when they came out but I agree with you, I thought they were brilliant.

13. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Don't be! Who cares what people think of you? I signed up.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bravo, and thanks......I think I just might do so

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I signed up as well.:eek:

16. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Me too!

17. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I for one want to get the Harry Potter novels on an e-book format from the Pottermore web site. :)

I have all seven novels in hardback but from Goblet of Fire on, the novels in hardback form are big and heavy and doesn't lend itself well to reading in long stretches unless you have a bookstand. In e-book format, I can quick jump to any part of the books and given my relatively poor eyesight, I can adjust the font size for more comfortable reading on my iPad 2.

18. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

20. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I could say the same about Apple. :rolleyes:

21. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

u just signed up? u couldn't of the only thing they are doing at the moment is they will send u an e-mail whenever the site officially opens. on july 30th u can return to the site asap to sign up for a beta and then from what u fill out they will pick a million people.

22. Watabou, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

The first clue was out an hour or so ago and I got in and registered and everything.

Apparently they said they would email me but I haven't received any email yet. :(

EDIT: nvm I got it now.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is the only reason I signed up. I want those books on my Kindle.