Poured water on MB. Doesn't turn on. What should i do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gnownayr, Nov 7, 2007.

1. gnownayr macrumors regular

i didn't turn it over because i heard that is bad. any suggestions? thanks!!!

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Remove the AC Power and battery. Don't attempt to turn it on for a few days.

Oh yeah, pray.

3. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

1. Remove Battery and Turn Off Computer
    2. Put computer upside down for THREE DAYS without touching it as it needs to dry out completely. Failure to allow it to completely dry will cause it to spark when you turn it on and fry your motherboard. Fried Motherboard = SCREWED (applecare will not cover this if it was caused by a spill to my knowledge). From my understanding turning it upside down allows the water to seep out through the keyboard and escape the computer quicker than if you just let it evaporate but I have no personal experience with this.
    3. Pray to computer gods
    4. Tell us how it went

However, unfortunately if it doesn't turn on right now that is an ominous sign that it might already be fried.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Any battery operated device that wasn't intended to get wet, remove power / pull the battery immediately. I've seen moisture temporarily short out a device - but once dried it's ok. But if power is not removed, the moisture (through electrolysis) acid etches, changes component values, and that does a majority of the destruction.

Do not be impatient - that is what sinks 80% of the possible survivals.

Open every door, bay and crevice on that thing, and let it DRY OUT. Multi-layer circuit boards, flexible PCBs, and dense electronic packaging in modern electronics allow moisture to reside in there with next to zero air movement. (which is what is needed to dry out)

Don't do the opposite - and try to hit this thing with a heat gun, or an oven, that can be equally bad.

My buddy got the great idea to pull zero atmosphere on his phone after it got wet... and yeah, all the moisture evaporated w/o any heat. His caps and LCD also asploded in the process.

So yeah, wait, wait, wait, and then pray before you power it back up.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

you can additionally put it into a large covered container with a bunch of uncooked white rice; which acts as a desiccant and will pull moisture out of the machine.

6. klymr macrumors 65816

Just be careful of rice getting in small holes/slots.

7. shecky Guest

shecky

yes, it does not need to be buried in the rice or anything, just on top of it/in the same container as it. it does not need to touch the laptop at all.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

did you pour water on it or spill water on it, cause pouring water on it wasent a very good idea

sorry..

these threads are just getting more and more common

9. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

... . . . . can I eat the rice afterwards? You know, in case I have to do this one day. I like rice. Now if I can do SETI@Home and boil some rice on my MBP that would be just fantastic.

10. gnownayr thread starter macrumors regular

it was actually my friend, so i don't know...he didn't know about this site so i figured i would just post something so i could tell him what to do. so i'm not sure how the water got on it