Powebook G4 fails to boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stephen Baker, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Stephen Baker macrumors newbie

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience. I do hope you may be able to help.
    I run a Powerbook G4 1.67g with Leopard 10.5.? installed. Periodically I am asked if I wsnt to download and install security updates. Last night, without looking too much at the update list I clicked yes to agree to a Microsoft word, Quicktime and itunes downloads - as I have done many times. I checked the box for installations to be installed on shut down and next time I log on.
    In powering up the machine today, for the very first time ever, I was presented by my admin log in screen and icon. On entering my password the machine moved from my desktop and login screen (minus icons) to a blue screen then back to the login screen - the machine does not accept my password.
    Tried rebooting holding the shift key after the logon chime into safemode... even in safemode I am asked for passowrd which the machine does not recognise and asks once more for the password.
    I haven't got a backup disc or the original operating disk as this was a machine recently purchased without this software.
    UPDATE
    Visited apple's site - tired a step by step command -S function and deleting the admin users password and resetting this in a command prompt window (white writing, black screen - see link http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7392583) but still the machine behaves as if I have placed the wrong password on the login niggle once powered up - now I am really confused.
    I am absolutely stumped as to what to do and would very much appreciate someone with experience and a little time to share their thinking on what may be wrong and give me signposting as to what to do and how to resolve this issue...
    Best wishes,
    Steve

2. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

wow that's something. my best guess is to reinstall leopard without doing a clean install. you can renew your password and restore some defaults without destroying you personal items. if you don't have too much inportant stuff on the powermac, go ahead and do a clean install to start fresh. good luck.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not having the leopard disc is a bit of a bugger. Anybody you can borrow one from? Maybe pick one up on fleabay for £50?

Lacking that, do you have another mac you can use to boot the PB into target disk mode? If you're having a permissions issue with your account, you could try repairing permissions from disk utility on a second mac.