PoweMac questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CamH, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. CamH macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2004
    Hello everybody! :D

    Okay, I've got a question... I'm looking at buying a dual G4 PowerMac. It will be used for desktop work (chat, browsing) and photoshop. It will run OS X.

    What would the performance be like between dual 500's, and, say, dual 1GHz's? Either of them will likely be upgraded to 1GB of memory. Or should I just skip the G4 PowerMacs altogether and aim for a G5?

  2. patseguin macrumors 68000


    Aug 28, 2003
    If you really want a PowerMac, G5 is the only way to go. The architecture is vastly superior to the G4.

    Based on what you're going to use it for, have you considered the iMac? One of those loaded with RAM would be sweet for your use.
  3. Hemingray macrumors 68030


    Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    It sounds like he wants the dual processors namely for Photoshop, which an iMac can't offer. Personally, I would go with a dual 1GHz. We have one here at the office and it's quite nice. Now if only I could convince them to upgrade to Panther, it'd be that much better. The dual 500's are just getting that much older.

    [EDIT: That, of course, is assuming you're on a budget. If you can afford a G5 right off the bat, then that's definitely the way to go! I guess I just assumed you mentioned the G4 for the cost.]
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus


    Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I wouldn't even consider the dual 500, waste of time and money. I have a dual 1GHz Quicksilver w/ Panter & 1GB RAM (SD133), and it is plenty speedy, but, if there is any chance of you having the money to get a G5, then get one!.
  5. virividox macrumors 601


    Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    like the previous posters mentioned, go for a g5 if u can.

    a dual 500 isnt really practical unless you are gonna gut it and put a new set in from powerlogix sometime in the future a dual 867 or 1 will last much longer
  6. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    CamH, I would also recommend getting the G5. If you have the money go for the newest available. It is better to have the new technology rather than upgrading old technology. Why bother with compatibility issues.
  7. CamH thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2004
    Well, right now I am nearly to the point where I can get a dual 1GHz PowerMac. I'll be waiting at least a few more months if I am going to get a G5, but, from the sound of it, a dual G4 1GHz will be perfect.

    Thanks for the replies! :)
  8. CamH thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 11, 2004
    Also, I did consider the iMac, but I decided that it does not suit my needs because of its built in display and the fact that it does not support dual processors.

Share This Page