Power adapter/charging problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loopita, Feb 12, 2012.

1. loopita macrumors newbie

today my mbp randomly stopped and started charging every few seconds. first i switched the charger with my mothers, but i had the same problem. then i tried resetting the PRAM and SMC, but i still had same problem.

after doing that i tried switching out the charger with my mothers again and that seems to work now. but the weird thing is that my charger works on my mothers mbp, but not the other way around. i have tried switching back several times but its the same.. both chargers work on my mothers but only my mothers work on mine..

what could that be?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Jexta macrumors member

There could be a build up of carbon or some such on both the MagSafe power adapter head, and the MagSafe port on your MBP. Your Mother's MBP and PA may not have the same build up and such work more readily.

I would suggest however that you get your machine looked at, as there could be a power flow problem with your MagSafe board and the last thing you want is frying the logic board.

4. loopita thread starter macrumors newbie

okey thank you both for your reply. yes leaving it with apple would be ideal, but im leaving on vacation tomorrow. so if anyone else has any other suggestions please let me know..

thanks

5. takeshi74, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues. Check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link.

If resetting the SMC and troubleshooting the MagSafe adapter doesn't help, take it to Apple. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. loopita thread starter macrumors newbie

suddenly my mom had the same problems with my charger, so i went out and bought a new one and problem solved..

thanks everyone who dedicated time towards this post!

Peace!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you got it sorted out!