Power Adapter for MacBook Pro vs. MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rtracey, Nov 15, 2007.

1. rtracey macrumors newbie

Has anybody tried using a MacBook power adapter for a MacBook Pro or vice versa? Intuitively, I originally thought that the MBP would operate off of the MacBook adapter without any serious problems, because of the lower wattage. But then I was wondering if the computer regulates incoming power anyway, in which case the MacBook might accept the MBP adapter just fine too. Has anyone tried this out? I'm at school and go over to my girlfriend's place a lot (and she over here) and it'd be nice to now if we have the option to use each other's adapters if we forget ours.

SR MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz, 7200rpm 160GB HD, 2 GB RAM

2. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

You have it the other way around...You'll be able to use the MBP power adapter with the Macbook, NOT the other way around. However I seem to remember that people have used the Macbook power adapter on a MBP, but the only downside is that it won't charge the MBP.

Simple way to think about it is that the MBP power adapter runs at a higher wattage than the MB one...when using the MBP adapter on the MB, it will just "downstep" to the required wattage

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

The MB power supply will charge the MBP but it takes ridiculously long. I haven't tried the MBP in my MB though.