Power Adapter goes out, comes back on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by beborama, Nov 14, 2011.

1. beborama macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem-- the power adapter goes cold dead, then it comes 'back to life'. I called Apple and told them, and they said to wipe the connection on the magsafe plug and unplug the 'adapter box' with the Apple logo and wipe the connection there.

I wiped the white box's plug first--and it started working BEFORE I went to the magsafe plug and wiped it.

The point is-- can simple humidity (very humid today) cause the adapter to cease working for several hours like that, OR is the adapter going dead?

The Apple tech said the adapters usually just go dead and stay dead, he'd never heard of one coming back 'to life' unless it had to with the pins in the magsafe plug being uneven--- and mine were fine and even when I wiped it second.

Just wondering if this is a warning that the adapter is on its way out?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Could be on its way out. Humidity can have a strong effect, however it's unlikely considering how sealed up they are. Unless it was physically wet to the touch, or stored (unpowered) in a humid environment for a while - typically the fact it generates heat during operation, also serves to keep it drier then ambient RH levels.

A good way to test to see if your adapter is suffering thermal-induced issues, would be to put it on a insulating surface like a small towel. (don't wrap it, just place on top) Run your battery down to ~50%, then plug it in, turn your display brightness all the way up, and play some games, or encode and watch HD video. Something to cause high demand for power. If the brick cuts out - you know why.