Power Adapter Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RMSko, Aug 26, 2012.

1. RMSko macrumors 6502

I inadvertently used a 60W power adapter to charge my15" rMBP. I now know I shouldn't do that as the rMBP needs to use te 85W power adapter. In fact, although the 60W adapter did charge the rMBP from 0 to about 75%, the 60W adapter got so hot during the charge, it then shut itself off. I'm clearly not going to use that power adapter to charge my rMBP again, however, I'm just wondering if I may have done any damage to my rMBP? I know I may've damaged the power adapter, but it was an old one and I don't care about it, I'm only concerned if I could've damaged the rMBP. Any thoughts?

2. simsaladimbamba

No damage down, as far as I have experienced. When I used a 60 W adapter for a 15" or 17" MBP, the power adapter charged the MBPs okay, just slower.

And regarding the hotness, that is normal, and it is normal for the power adapter to shut down. I have had it happen to my power adapters on several occasions, and they are still working.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

I use the RMBP charger at home and a 60w charger at work. No problems at all so far.